• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cultivation of Limnophila Sesiliflora

Nick72

I've just got past the 'getting plants to grow' phase and I'm trying my hand at cultivating / directing growth.

Everything I read about stem plants says when you cut them just above a node the node will split into two stems or branches.

I also keep reading that regular cutting will produce more compact and bushy stems.

I've been working on my Limnophila Sesiliflora
(To the extreme right in this tank)

1ECA1258-1E97-41FE-89C1-6F20A6471016.jpeg

It's giving my 3-5 inches of growth per week, and I'm really happy about that.

But no matter how many times I replant the tops or cut the stem back halfway above a node, I still get this fairly leggy single stem display.

Anyone able to provide tips or advice?

Lim. sess. is one of those, that just works opposite........ :).
This plant grow longer internodes (=stem between leaves) in stronger light and added CO2 and shorter, more compact growth in lower light and no added CO2.
What you can do, to get a more dense appearance, is plant more stems closer in the group. Luckily the off-cuts of Lim. sess. very readily set roots, when replanted - just remember to remove the lowest "whirl" of leaves at the cutting and place this node (=point where leaves were attached) in the bottom-layer.

Lim. sess. is one of those, that just works opposite........ :).
This plant grow longer internodes (=stem between leaves) in stronger light and added CO2 and shorter, more compact growth in lower light and no added CO2.
What you can do, to get a more dense appearance, is plant more stems closer in the group. Luckily the off-cuts of Lim. sess. very readily set roots, when replanted - just remember to remove the lowest "whirl" of leaves at the cutting and place this node (=point where leaves were attached) in the bottom-layer.
Wow first time I ever hear that's how it works! And to think that it is one of the beginner plants! Thanks Mick!

Thanks @Mick.Dk -

That's just the information and advice I needed. You can watch 30 aquascape videos and not pick up any information like this.

Appears I picked the wrong strem plant as my first to cultivate - but it's no problem now that you've explained the situation.

I love how the Dutch speakers use this so well in their tanks. Best example I have seen is this.

5130.jpg

Back