• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Current food trends

Andrew Butler

I'm curious as to what products people are using as a 'general community' freshwater food and also any specific types relating to fish dietery requirements.

I'm also interested to learn if anyone has tried and liquid foods, detailed further in this separate thread.

Thanks in advance

For fish: Fluval bug bites, frozen Artemia (with garlic) and frozen Bloodworm on rotation and BBS when I have time to hatch

For shrimp; Shrimp king mineral and some other pellet food i get from a breeder

Hi all,
I'm curious as to what products people are using as a 'general community' freshwater food
<"Live food mainly">. In the summer it can be 100% of the feed.

In the winter I've traditionally topped it up with "Astax crumb", <"Earthworm" and "Spirulina" flakes">, all from TA Aquaculture. They can't get the Astax crumb any more, so I'm using a mix of <"TA Blend No. 1"> and <"Freeze Dried Arctic Copepods"> at the moment
any specific types relating to fish dietery requirements
I add leaf litter and vegetables to the tanks.

If I had more fish time and money, I'd probably go back to hatching <"Baby Brine Shrimp"> (BBS), and might investigate <"Repashy gel foods">

cheers Darrel

Frozen white, black and red mosquito larvea, frozen mysis, rarely live grindal/enchytraeae at home. I buy white and red mosquito larvea live once a year and feed those for a week
Only live food at work grindal, enchytraeae, i add Hyalella mexicana to the tanks regularly. Sometimes live daphnia.
I am cultivating a new "scud"species from asia, if i got plenty i will start adding them to my home tank.

Do you have a "brand" for the frozen Artemia Kalum, it's not something I've seen in local stores?

Pretty sure its aquadip, I don't have the packet as I remove from the blister pack and cut in half and put in a plastic tub for ease

Moving toward the insect granules recently fish science and later fluval bug bites, hikari granules always,tetra cory tablets, occasion frozen bloodworm and tetra crisps. Always got Aquarian flakes

I try to feed as much live food as possible in the summer supplemented with a mix of dry and frozen foods that changes from time to time. I have frozen cyclops, daphnia and mini bloodworm for the winter months and use decapsulated brine shrimp eggs (the kind that don't need to be hatched and can be fed like a flake food), spiralina wafers and various all purpose flake like aquarian. I also add vegetables that I have grown on the allotment, like marrow, cucumber and beans plus anything else I can forage such as nettles etc for the shrimp. I'm basically very cheap.

I'll feed flake and pellets..but nothing is taken with as much enthusiasm as bloodworm and crushed peas.
Permanently hang a piece of red pepper on the side,until it's consumed.

Bug bites, algae waffers (forget the brand) for dry and then live daphnia/blood worm twice a week (more in summer plus mosquito larvae) then rapshy or courgette once a week ish.

Rapashy Soilent Green is consumed with gusto by Ottos.

My thinking about feeding this is that they need nutrients that vegetables cannot supply and while a small number may be able to get this from the tank if you have a large number of Ottis they will rapidly exhaust the supply. Equally the jury seems to be out on their diet and some subspecies seem to be omniverous.

Shrimp on the other hand get blanched or dried nettles.

Rapashy Soilent Green is consumed with gusto by Ottos.

Please excuse my ignorance, but can I ask what Rapashy Soilent Green is please?

I've heard it mentioned a number of times before and when I found it on Amazon it seems to be in either a small screw top jar or in a packet. I then looked on YouTube and spotted people mixing it and became even more confused.

Please excuse my ignorance, but can I ask what Rapashy Soilent Green is please?

I've heard it mentioned a number of times before and when I found it on Amazon it seems to be in either a small screw top jar or in a packet. I then looked on YouTube and spotted people mixing it and became even more confused.

It's basically a powdered food that you just add water to to make what you need. It has a shortish shelf life when made so the ability to make small amounts of food for a week or two is beneficial.
So you are paying for the food and not the water.

It's basically a powdered food that you just add water to to make what you need. It has a shortish shelf life when made so the ability to make small amounts of food for a week or two is beneficial.
So you are paying for the food and not the water.
I like the idea of paying for the food and not the water Mort, thanks for the help. Something else I can now add to my growing knowledge bank.

Forgot to say often live daphnia and brine shrimp when it's available. Nice info about the Rapashy solent green

Back