• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Current food trends

Rapashy Soilent Green is consumed with gusto by Ottos.

My thinking about feeding this is that they need nutrients that vegetables cannot supply and while a small number may be able to get this from the tank if you have a large number of Ottis they will rapidly exhaust the supply. Equally the jury seems to be out on their diet and some subspecies seem to be omniverous.

Hi @Onoma1

Recently, on another thread here on UKAPS, I mentioned that Otocinclus appear to consume periphyton, a cocktail of microflora and microfauna. For more information, take a look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periphyton

My understanding is that Otocinclus will also eat brown 'algae' (diatoms). It's a fascinating world when you get down to the microscopic level.

JPC

Just picked up some repashy silent green to try over the holidays as a supplement for my ottos and shrimp, sometimes add blanched veg but they barely touch it which would lead me to believe they have enough natural food sources to survive on but would rather make sure

The only thing that has put me off before is the mess created by repashy in a planted tank, but hopefully by placing a couple of rocks in so its sets on the rock might limit this....:brb:

The only thing that has put me off before is the mess created by repashy in a planted tank, but hopefully by placing a couple of rocks in so its sets on the rock might limit this....:brb:

Hi @Kalum

That's an interesting comment that you make. I also notice that you say "in a planted tank". In what way does it make a mess? Do you have fish in your planted tank? Please tell me more before I buy some.

JPC

@jaypeecee from all I've seen of people feeding it on YouTube and from previous experience feeding spirulina gel (using agar agar) it can get messy as the fish and shrimp pick it apart, which is obviously not ideal in some of our very clean aquascapes

So rather than just throwing in a loose block of it I'm hoping that setting it to a stone will keep it together a bit better when in the tank, got a funny feeling it won't matter though so just need to feed sparingly

Hi @Kalum

You're in luck! I got a reply late last night. This guy uses 'Spawn & Grow' and 'Bottom Scratcher'! He made the comment that "it stays in a solid lump, only put in what your fish can eat and you won't have a problem, they really do go for it". So, it looks like you are good to go.

Good luck and let us know how your fish get on with it.

JPC

Hi @Kalum

You're in luck! I got a reply late last night. This guy uses 'Spawn & Grow' and 'Bottom Scratcher'! He made the comment that "it stays in a solid lump, only put in what your fish can eat and you won't have a problem, they really do go for it". So, it looks like you are good to go.

Good luck and let us know how your fish get on with it.

JPC

I think that ensuring that you have the correct ratio of water to powder is fairly important in ensuring a consistency that allows the gel to maintain its form.

I haven't had any problems at all. The only issue seems to be that the ottos now ignore vegetables!

Good to hear @jaypeecee and cheers for the info, looking forward to seeing how the ottos (hopefully) take to it

I’ve used them before. Didn’t find they broke up.

I made up a small amount and pasted it onto small stones that stored well in the fridge for a week.

Then popped one in the tank when needed.

You can add as much or as little water as you like to alter the consistency. It’ll make sense when you make some. It’s dead easy!

Mmm
Tetra crisp wafers + color enhancer
Nt labs - shrimp enhancer, cichlid green, red guppy crumb.
Shrimp king - pellets that expand and crumble
Fish science - shrimp tabs stick on
Tropical - discus granules, spirulina powder, and another tiny pellet one.
Aquacare - tropical tans, granules, pellets, tropical flake and Goldie flakes.
Flake from the pound shop.

Health food shop - chlorella tabs, spirulina tabs. Bee pollen pellets.
Botanicals- oak leaves, Indian almond leaves, nettles.
Frozen- daphnia, bloodwork, brine shrimp.
Live - bloodworm, daphnia, ostracods, brine shrimp, gammarus, white worms, ants in the summer plus their eggs, female spiders full of eggs, mosquitos larvae.
Veggies - nettles, lettuce, cucumber, courgette, peas, tomatoes.
Meats - cooked chicken shredded, ham, egg yolks heard boiled.
Bread crumbs from toast and sarnies.
Cooked rice.

Think that all of it. Obviously not all same time. Like to mix up the foods.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back