• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Current Tank and Other Goodies

Berlioz

As I'm new here, I thought it best to dive head first and share some of the plant related things I've done. Ignore the funky saturation, some of these were taken on my phone.

Thanks for taking the time to look
Daniel

Current Tank

Tank Size: 100L
Lights: Maxspect Razor 120W
Filtration: Fluval 306
Fertilisers and Co2: EI Solution, Inline via Up Aqua Diffuser
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
Hardscape: Seiryu stone and locally collected native wood (some type of melaleuca)

Flora: Anubias Nana Petite, Blyxa Japonica, Crypt. Balansae, Crypt. Wendtii Brown, Crypt. Wendtii Green, Crypt. Nevilli, Crypt. Beckettii, Staurogyne sp. Porto Velho, Micranthemum sp. Monte Carlo, Marsilea Hirsuta, Narrow Leaf Microsorum, Lilaeopsis Novae-Zelandiae, Hydrocotyle Tripartita, Cyperus Helferi, Sydney Stringy Moss, Persicaria sp. Porto Velho, Ludwigia Arcuata, Dendrobium Kingianum and other local terrestrial mosses.

Fauna: Paracheirodon innesi, otocinclus, and albino corydoras aeneus.

Not really sure how long I've had this tank up and running. I think it has been up since August last year, but plants and wood have changed, as well substrate in part—there used to be sand towards the right. For now I'm happy with it as is and will keep it running into the near future. If I get bored I'll probably just swap some species out for new ones. For now I will probably keep tinkering with the emersed sections whilst they are in their infancy, nurse my stringy moss back to health (died off during a recent 40+ Celsius day when we lost power and couldn't have the air con on), and wait for the lilaeopsis to fill in.

25006757654_1263a41113_b.jpg

Current Wabi-Kusa

Really simple little display I set up using some old aquasoil, a dead lavender stump and a not in use ADA Aquasky. It's mostly a hodge podge of plants (like riccia, hydrocotyle, etc), but I like it.

24625542052_7ee6390572_c.jpg

Previous Nano Tank

Tank Size: ADA Mini M knock off
Lights: ADA Aquasky 361
Filtration: Aqua One 100
Fertilisers and Co2: None
Hardscape: Seiryu stone and local wood

I don't really remember what was in the emersed section of this tank. There was an Echinodorus Ozelot Green, Persicaria sp. Porto Velho, Rotala Colorata, Ludwigia Brevipes and Arcuata, Hydrocotyle Tripartita, Frogbit and Duckweed. Livestock were pseudomugil gertrudae (spotted blue eyes).

This tank mostly looked after itself, which was good because it sucked to clean. In the end I had to break it down due to a major insect infestation.

20236766589_5916deb7b8_c.jpg

20846040951_1c00405d05_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Daniel,
Nice Scapes There :thumbup: Love the W-K Fantastic :woot::cool:

Thank you, Greenfinger. :) I really got sucked into the wabis. They're great, I just wish our summers were cooler for them. They've definitely done better for me over Autumn and Winter when the air con isn't on 24/7.

nice work! I really like the last one, dark at the bottom bright at the top.

Thank you, Jamie. :) It was a great little tank, but if I did it again I'd definitely do something more practical. I wouldn't mind trying a proper paludarium in the future. I'm constantly inspired and in awe of the work of Adrian at our ADA Gallery in Melbourne.
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2014/show608.html

All great :).

Thank you, Nelson. :)

Love the wabi k as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thank you, Chris. :)

Removed the longest piece of wood from the tank and replaced it with a shorter piece. I was liking it less and less since adding the terrestrial stuff. Before then I liked it, but now the triangle is more accentuated. Since removing that I've also created a void that something will need to be planted in. I'm thinking perhaps some sort of rotala or ludwigia, or perhaps I'll just carry the persicaria across—this probably makes the most sense.

Staurogyne looks a little rough, but I've just hacked it back quite a lot. Contemplating adding some monte carlo amongst it. There are floaters (off-cuts) from the wood that have lodged themselves in the carpet, but not enough to really take off and compete with it.

I've also been tinkering with the emersed sticks. Added some finer branches (which look a lot nicer in person) and mossed up the back left branch. Added some usnea too. I stumbled across a lot of it the other day when out with the pup and took a little bit. Not sure how well it will do, but it seems to be okay so far.

25445699940_f0762cf056_b.jpg

Last edited:
A little update:

Since last time, my tank hasn't really changed much. I did end up adding some monte carlo amongst the staurogyne (waiting for it take off), and also added some hydrocotyle tripartita. The cyperus helferi has produced a flower a stalk and is now growing emergent. All fish seem to be doing well, especially as the plants grow in more and more. I think the corydoras have liked it the most though, I've noticed at least one little fry swimming around! :)

What really excites me though, is how well my orchids are doing! Despite the fact the original plants taken from our backyard were rather dry and beat up from the Australian sun, they seem quite happy where they are now. I've started to see lots of new root growth and leaves. The terrestrial moss has started adapting to the higher moisture content too.

26606575195_b85cb2cfae_o.jpg

And the wabi on my desk is still going strong too. I had a few problems with it drying out even with regular misting, but it has started to bounce back now that I'm saturating the substrate twice a week.

26003281463_1fb3aebfc7_o.jpg

Last edited:
Long time no post—I do apologise. Here is a quick phone snap of how it is looking today. Not sure how well the anthuriums will tolerate the wet feet in the long run, but I'll just rehome them if they start to show signs of being unhappy. There are still some stems in the back behind the java (recently hacked back), although I'm more than likely going to replace them with eleocharis geniculata. :)

29452948934_63b5cc6ff4_o.png

29785861760_a4e24777ce_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back