• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Custom Nano Filter Design / Material Question

That is one of the reason for adding the bleed valve to the top. Plan is to bleed the filter after filling it to prime it and remove trapped air before starting to inject the CO2. The volume of CO2 will be so small that I am hoping it will be dissolved before it can form too large of a pocket at the top.

I’ve just been working on my old Eheim classic and I think you’ve over egged the bend on your drawing.

Attachments

• 4AB9DCDD-C9E9-4634-9608-28F6BB13790A.jpeg
    4AB9DCDD-C9E9-4634-9608-28F6BB13790A.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 183
Could very well be the case. I only had pictures to go on. Could you measure how far the hose sits from the threaded connector of the bend if you get a chance?

Which Filter media are you thinking of ?
As it’s for a nano and to eliminate the need fir a basket why not use one piece of filter foam ?
Easily obtained
Easily cut to shape
Easy to get out
Easy to clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which Filter media are you thinking of ?
As it’s for a nano and to eliminate the need fir a basket why not use one piece of filter foam ?
Easily obtained
Easily cut to shape
Easy to get out
Easy to clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve actually been thinking about this recently. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could have a foam filter insert with a hollowed out space in it for biological media?

Hi all,
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could have a foam filter insert with a hollowed out space in it for biological media?
You can <"if you DIY them">. Ten or 20 PPI Foam sheet, cut the five sides to the shape you want and then sew, silicone or Gorilla glue them together into an open ended box.

I have an old Rena Internal filter (<"iV3 Filstar">) that has that design (<"it was a gift">), but the amount of foam and sintered glass media that they hold is pathetic.

cheers Darrel

As far as media goes I was thinking of filling the bottom half with some sintered glass bio media (I have a bag of unused Eheim Substrate pro) and the top with sponges. Like the idea of using the sponge to contain the media but I think it might take up to much room. Think I might just put the bio media in a mesh bag for easy removal while cleaning.

The redesign let's me fit a 400l/h pump on the bottom without losing hardly and space so I am excited about that. The flow can be turned down if it turns out to be too much but I like having the option!

I just stumbled upon these fittings that I really like as well. They are supposed to be used in liquid CPU cooling loops but they could be perfect here and they swivel. What do you guys think of these? Think I might order up a set just to see.
IMG_20210115_165840.jpg
IMG_20210115_165818.jpg

Ordered a set! Couldn't resist. Look like they have a smoother bend inside than the ones I currently have. Won't be here until the 29th though. Hoping to have the filter body and caps done by then!

Thanks! Thought about an automatic valve but since I am injecting CO2 into the filter I don't want to have it being vented instead of dissolved if it starts to collect on the top.

Thanks! Thought that diffuser would fit perfectly in the filter. The body of the diffuser and the connecting tube is made of acrylic and is made to be bent. It even included two shorter acrylic tubes to practice on before bending the real thing which I thought was a cool idea! Can't wait to have the machines parts done as well. They are going to be CNC'd so I think they will look pretty awesome. Will post pics as soon as they are done!

Back