• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Custom Nano with a twist

kishan313

Hi All,

This is my first attempt at a planted aquarium. I’m very grateful to everyone who has answered my newbie questions so thought I’d consolidate what I’ve learnt into a journal.

Tank: 30L custom cube
Filter: Allpond Solutions EF-150, rated at 400l/hour
Heater: Interpret - plumbed into the glass and invisible.
CO2: Fire extinguisher. Regulator/solenoid from eBay. Mini diffuser and drop checker from CO2 Supermarket.
Substrate: Tropica Soil Powder
Hardscape: Mini Landscape Rock/ Redmoor Root from Aquarium Gardens.
Ferts: TBC
Lights: 8w Leds (maybe Chinese)
Plants: TBC
Livestock: TBC

03cb9e38b78cd98578e0a38a16efda0b.jpg

d13e124699ab67f2b1ff0daf6d7c7bea.jpg

d0d5d17ad6d2f86665420e9b2100bad1.jpg

For those want to follow on Instagram my handle is Nanoscape30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OMG This is how I would look if I had this in my living room. I have wood envy.

:cigar:

Question: What is the black thing in the bottom with a drilled hole???

OMG This is how I would look if I had this in my living room. I have wood envy.

:cigar:

Question: What is the black thing in the bottom with a drilled hole???

Thank you! It is a flat heater which was plumbed through the glass. The plan is to put the substrate on top of the heater so you cannot see it at all. ;)

No major updates, taking it slow with this tank and still waiting on some equipment to arrive.

Seiryu stone from Aquarium Gardens arrived recently (very impressed but ordered more than I needed to give me some options). I don’t like the redmoor I have currently so ordered some more (nano suitable pieces).

Here’s everything dumped in the tank, excuse the thumb prints on the glass

823195a3e190a4fcde4645db5ce2fe79.jpg

2620ff8044a0441d24c822a6c0491ab3.jpg

5d5c46862343c8b188f17859eebe847e.jpg

1f99c08b9c6ffc2af561ed4004188eef.jpg

5fc4447bcfbc53ce2838842f3fc4af4b.jpg

d9dcf14443d0c98916289de8076217a8.jpg

Nothing interesting, let the hardscape sit for a week and really liked the look of it.

Added the Tropica soil powder and stacked it up pretty high towards the back. Used some lava rock style stuff in a filter bag to give the extra boost and some DIY substrate support.

I’ll be cleaning the sand and popping that in a thin layer at the front for the mini beach effect.

I’m going to take my time and try and do things right, rather than rush :)

Beautiful tank...I just have one concern about the heater.
Whilst it is a flat heater it's still designed to have a flow of water over it and I think buried under the substrate at best it's going to struggle to heat the tank or at worst it's going to give up the ghost pretty quickly.

Beautiful tank...I just have one concern about the heater.
Whilst it is a flat heater it's still designed to have a flow of water over it and I think buried under the substrate at best it's going to struggle to heat the tank or at worst it's going to give up the ghost pretty quickly.

I thought that too and looked it up on the good old tinterweb, they say it can go under substrate.

The heater is a slight concern for me too, if it doesn’t heat the tank at optimum temperature I’m quite happy to get something a bit more robust. Will keep a close eye on it!

The heater is a slight concern for me too, if it doesn’t heat the tank at optimum temperature I’m quite happy to get something a bit more robust. Will keep a close eye on it!

Just a thought, if you decide to keep the heater, you do a beautiful scape and then the heater fails, you would need to rip the scape apart to replace it. For me, that alone would put me off using an under substrate heater.

Just a thought, if you decide to keep the heater, you do a beautiful scape and then the heater fails, you would need to rip the scape apart to replace it. For me, that alone would put me off using an under substrate heater.

If it stops working/ isn’t as effective. I’ll leave it buried and switch it off as it will be completely hidden from sight. I can then pop in my thermostat controlled heater which I have got as a back up.

Would this be okay, or am I simplifying things?

Sandy beach in after a good rinse.

I’ve had this sand in storage for a while which was excess from a previous set up and it matches the Seiryu stone perfectly, glad it wasn’t too yellow/white!

b6659d88ae7ba4a0461642d1946d13d0.jpg

00d4d6f8cab4e32a3cd5fa03630e2299.jpg

379c23a5482df11e44dbb4fc1f292103.jpg

Wondering if anyone can give advice for best positioning the inlet outlet for this cube?

It comes with a standard outlet, and a spray bar, what would be best?

I know they’re ugly, will be changing for lily pipes further down the line

Started playing around with the wood, it’s so much to easier to scape once the rock and soil is in.

Also thought I’d post a pic of my messy cabinet (to be sorted out )

Next steps:
1/Get the cabinet organised and order plants.

2/figure out what kind of plants I want & hope they are available.

3/ Eagerly wait for EI starter kit to come in the post.

37f2850bd73a3a2925f4782f232e47af.jpg

d252f9458bcaa0b00f98325bce38d272.jpg

88d841f95747f7adc7123b3a061cb4c7.jpg

Package from Aquarium Gardens arrived today, earlier than expected. Have had to order plants from multiple sites as not one place had everything I was after, couldn’t wait much longer

449425784fefd1467e409ee44d759746.jpg

I could have sworn it had been soaked enough to where it was sinking in the container.
Mine took two weeks to soak!
Looking great so far and nice light design for sure, very different :)

Back