• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Custom Tank Dimensions!?

Jack G

Hi everyone,

Looking to get a custom opti-white tank made to fit my DIY stand - footprint of 45cm x 55cm.

I’m thinking of tank dimensions of 55cm (l) x 45cm (w) x 36cm (h).

What do people think would this still offer an attractive viewing perspective. I’m going classic nature aquarium.

If not should I perhaps go for a more regular cube dimensions?

Thanks

I’d love a EA 600 of an 60p but I’m aprehensive about getting anything that would result in an overhang.

That’s the main reason for going custom. I’m really looking for a tank that fits perfectly with the stand.

NACD. They are manufacturers in London.

Lots of good reports on the forum.

No personal experience though. I recall Ryan (ADA mainly) was very impressed with one of their tanks.

Yep NACD definitely first choice. Their tanks look beautiful.

Just want to make sure I’m making the right decision re tank specs before taking the plunge.

I’m not sure of their prices. Worth paying more for quality imo.

ND Aquatics (different company than NACD) - I wouldn’t bother. My 6’ tank from them looked like the silicone was applied with a trowel and the back glass had a serious scratch in it (obviously not in transit because they painted over it!)

As long as the stand is built for the weight, a platform top that is larger than the stand is fine (many commercial aquarium stands use this design) which would allow you to go with an EA600

If you’re happy to go custom, I’d increase the height dimension for a glass box that is
55 x 45 x 40-45
I like taller tanks (mine are 55cm tall which I sometimes wish were 45) and fish certainly seem to like that additional height - I rarely have jumping fish

Thanks Alto!

Well that makes things tricky.....60P....EA600!? They’re both lovely tanks.

I’m edging for the 600 for the increased depth.

Careful if you step away from standard width tanks (300/600/900) you may limit your choice of lights.

Learnt the hard from my experience when I had a custom 1000 wide tank built.

How deep (front to back is your sideboard/desk? I’m confused!

Hi Siege, stand has a footprint of 55x45. So a 600 would overhang both from the side and back.

I was under the impression having a tank overhang was bad for the structural integrity of the tank - but appears that’s not so.

Still undecided!? Part of me would love a tank that sits flush with the stand. On the other hand I’m confident in the viewing dimensions of the EA range.

I was under the impression having a tank overhang was bad for the structural integrity of the tank - but appears that’s not so.

Tank overhang is very much NOT recommended with any rimless aquarium and will void any warranty
(Local ADA rep even went so far as to insist that the stand had to be ADA brand - despite setting up many client tanks with his personal branded knockoff stands :crazy: )

You need to place an additional platform top on the sideboard that is equal to tank dimensions - as seen in the Juwel Rio Aquarium line (and other brands - though this is less fashionable nowadays) - and it obviously needs to be suitable to support tank weight without bowing etc

Using a quality closed cell foam mat beneath a rimless tank is also good tank husbandry - ADA garden mats are excellent and (surprisingly) well priced

Agreed. I'd personally go with 34cm as this would be the Ada equivalent dimension for a tank if they produced it at this size... 34cm x 1.618 (golden ratio) = 55cm

Back