• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cyanoacrylate, dissolves in water?

Nick potts

I have recently created a hardscape using lots of superglue and cotton wool to stick my rock work together. Some of the rocks create overhangs which are completely supported by the glue/cotton mix which did set like cement.

Just been looking for some bulk glue supplies and came across this article from a manufacturer https://www.permabond.com/2016/07/26/cyanoacrylate-adhesive-usage/

The relevant bit is

"Cyanoacrylate adhesives cure with moisture but the cured adhesive isn’t incredibly resistant to water. However in many applications like the one above, long term bonding isn’t required. In the adhesive business we call bonds that must perform with long term water contact “fish tank” applications. We never recommend a cyanoacrylate for a fish tank application – but wait – cyanoacrylate adhesives are used to bond coral into fish tanks all the time. Cut branches of hard corals are glued onto a piece of reef coral, again this is often done in the tank. The new piece of coral is held in place while it sets it’s “roots” through and around the cyanoacrylate; by the time the adhesive dissolves the living coral is firmly attached to its new home.

So is my rockwork about to come crashing down?

I have not used superglue on its own before, I usually use superglue and a 2 part epoxy (milliput) for long term bonds on hardscape

I don’t think it will come apart as it’s been used a long time in aquariums
For filling gaps and joining things that do not have flat surfaces together I use superglue and baking powder it’s makes a sort of plastic glue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back