• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cyanoacrylic (superglue) and plants

Forest

Using superglue to stick corals to rock fragments is common practise with marine aquarium keepers. Does anyone here use superglue for sicking plants to rocks or wood? Any opinions?

I have used it and the superglue doesn't cause any problems. I didn't find it as easy as using rubber bands, cotton thread, fishing line or staples so haven't used it for ages.

Shouldn't be a problem seeing as superglue was invented to join skin r.e. cuts etc and is still used in some cases.

AC

Thanks for the replies chaps. Have tried some on driftwood and would not recommend it. The glue turns white if it doesnt dry properly before you resubmerge it. Looks ugly.

^ you could cover it from view by planting some plants in front of the wood or covering the glue with moss?

Make sure the super glue had dried properly before getting it wet- it reacts with moisture.
I found out the hard way when I squeezed the tube whilst trying to open it and ended with it all over my fingers. As I was by the kitchen sink at the time I quickly ran my hand under the tap only to find that it crystallised hard all my fingers together.

I was told late by a colleague at work if using super glue to breathe out on it before pushing the pieces together, the moisture in your breath is enough to quick set it.

Back