• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cyanobacteria help.....

maanse

Not strictly algae i know but im after a little help with it.

Ive got a small tank with a volume of around 35l, all it houses is one betta, a few plants (not so many now - most killed by bga) and some bog wood. The problem is the glass, substrate and plants are covered and after manual removal during water changes once a week, its back within 2/3 days. Im dosing using the ei method because that cured the problem in my other tanks and i have adjusted the dose so many times i forget what ive tried and what i haven't now. I am however fairly certain the problem isn't so much nutrient based but flow based.... But im struggling to get the flow right for a betta that doesn't like much flow at all....

If i up the flow, he gets pushed around the tank all day and starts to look scraggly, so are there any suggestions on how i can combat this issue?

Hi maanse

When I got BGA a few year ago in a low tech tank, I discovered it was because I was under dosing by some considerable margin. Once the penny dropped, I carried out a massive water change, added 2 teaspoons of KNO3 (100l tank), then upped the dosing and kept it there. BGA was gone in 4 days. I then carried out another water change and I haven't seen it since. No blackout required :D .

Hi,

Similarly to CeeJay, I've increased NO3 dosing, made sure that CO2 is running stable. Additionally what really helps to fight cyanobacteria is the spot treatment with Easy Carbo / Excel. I've used syringe with needle and have been dosing EC around substrate - glass line. Works like a charm.

Hi guys i know your right, because i did the same thing in my other tanks, maybe i need to re check what im dosing in this tank. I dont want to try the blackout method because i dont believe it will solve the problem, it may clear up but i think it will come back. Ill try more KNO3 first....

Back