• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cyperus alternifolius help.

Bradas

Seedling
Hi I'm planning on setting up a shrimp breeding / 'lilly pond'tank. I came across Cyperus alternifolius while looking for an aquarium plant that could act as a 'reed bed', unfortunatly it apparently grows tall...I'm willing to sacrifice a tank hood and lid to allow these plants to grow properly, but is there anything else I need to take into account? :crazy:

Also someone told me that 'there more efficent than some filters'. Is this true? :?

Bradas said:
Hi I'm planning on setting up a shrimp breeding / 'lilly pond'tank. I came across Cyperus alternifolius while looking for an aquarium plant that could act as a 'reed bed', unfortunatly it apparently grows tall...I'm willing to sacrifice a tank hood and lid to allow these plants to grow properly, but is there anything else I need to take into account?
Hi,
Any plant that grows too tall can be easily controlled with a pair of scissors. I can't imagine having to remove the tank lid just to accommodate a tall plant, unless the emerged growth is the effect you are looking for.
Bradas said:
Also someone told me that 'there more efficent than some filters'. Is this true? :?
More efficient at doing what?
More efficient at providing critical flow to the plant beds for distribution of CO2 and nutrients? NO!
More efficient at removing detritus and other debris? NO!
More efficient at removing ammonia? Depends on the plants overall health, the level of lighting, the quantity of plants and on what size and type of filter it is being compared to. In general, and to be on the safe side, lets just say NO!

Cheers,

Hi all,
I've grown it all sorts of "terrarium" situations, it will grow to about 5' tall if you let it. It's not really a plant you can prune, although you can take individual stems off at the base. It is an emergent, and has to have the larger portion of the stem out of the water, its not like C. helferi, but it will easily reach the surface from 2' down when it is growing well.
It grows a phenomenal amount of small adventitious roots underwater, and you can root the leaf grown in the tank, by bending the stems down and submersing the leaf rosette, giving you a surrogate floating plant. It is virtually indestructible, C. papyrus is a bit more choice, PM me if anyone wants either and I'll send you some rooting leaf rosettes.

cheers Darrel

Back