• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Déjà, beaucoup de fois avant". (15.08.08. rescape).

Re: New 60x30x30 cm "Déjà, beaucoup de fois avant".

Nice one Garuf! looking really nice. The moss is covering those cut ends of wood niceley. And the tank looks much better with a plain background .

Thank you planted, I'm really happy with how its shaping up I can't wait for the stems to fill out and the bolbitis to grow out more, the only thing I'm not that happy with is the sand, I can't decide if I like it or not, I'd like to swap it for either a whiter sand or for more AS and have a foreground plant but I really don't know, time will tell on how I feel about it.

I like the sand foreground but you might be right about something a bit whiter. To enhance the foreground you might try tying some moss to small stones and placing them along the edge of the AS and white sand to let the dark moss creep over. like Amano does in the freebie aquscaping guide.

That I have done already but I guess I could add more if I get my hands on some more weeping moss. Are you suggesting a solid border? Because I've already got one that is broken but it wouldn't take much to fill in the gaps.

Any more critiques welcome.

Looks great Garuf. Agreed about the sand, its a little orange. I think I'm going to have the same problem when I get my tank sorted out. I'm trying to "cut" the sand I have with other sands to get something I like...

Anyhow, when it fills out more, specially on the left, it'll look even better!

Maybe move the rhinox to the back if you can?

I'll have a fiddle with the diffuser and see what I can come up with, I personally think that there's insuficient flow within the tank but we shall see, I'd supposed to be saving to get my car on the road but I'm thinking I'd much rather have a bigger filter.

A top veiw, trying to show the messy sand overview.
dscf0767ix0.jpg

Algae meet your nemesis, Noah's Ark material.
dscf0772qu2.jpg

Not enough flow? Is the 2224 rated at 700lph? Ok, thats without media, but that'd be enough for 54 litres wouldn't it? Or is it the glassware?

I suspect its both, I've chopped back the hoses and this has shown a marked improvement, I'd really like to get some new lillies but I can't find any anywhere, failing that I'll probably Diy a clear acylic spray bar and use that. Who knows though, IT just doesn't seem to have the umph.

But then I have never mechanically serviced it so It could be a case of it being due and me not knowing what to do.

I also have a 2224 in my Juwel Rio 125 and its not great, reason I kept my internal filter going too. Also installed a 400lph powerhead just for circulation in the tank.

They're amazing filters and great capacity but they just don't have enough water turnover, I suspect its just over 400lph rather than the quoted 700lph.
I'd be more than happy to get another filter if it wasn't for the fact I'd supposed to be saving, that's the main reason I've been on the scrounge for a second hand high turn over filter.
So there we go kids anyone who has a 1200lph filter going spare I'll gladly take it.

Which tank is that?
I lost by £2 on a second 2224, I could have sobbed, I suppose I could sell of some stuff to try and fund raise for a larger filter or a second filter. Having all that extra biological filtration capacity I must say is desirable!

On my rio 180. I have a Tetratec EX700 and a Fluval 204. Both similar ratings. I use both with spray bars, as per Clive's advice. Not really been able to determine if its good or bad as the tank itself is sorta "ticking over" (ie, I'm neglecting it) while I set up the replacement tank and move everything accross :)

eBay can be a real bugger sometimes... The amount of stuff I've either missed or forgotten to bid on (I tend to snipe last minute ;)) in the last few weeks... I missed a nice little 60cm T5 luminaire that went for £20 :bored:

I'm gonna change to spray bars and see if there's any improvement, then new lily's then a new or second filter dependant on what I can find at the time.
It all seems very weird to me that one filter can be excellent for the job on the same size tank for someone else but on another persons it's inadiquate.

Makes me wish I was George and got equipment for free.

Hehe :)

Have you tried fiddling with your media configuration? Maybe change the amount of sponge/media?

If you decide to go new, check out Zooplus if you haven't already... Cheap Tetratec EX600/700's (EX1200 seems over priced IMO):

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filt ... ters/19461

10% off your first order and free shipping from Germany (pretty fast too!). I got my EX700 from here last year. £45 all in!

I haven't I use the standard eheim pack with the addition of some purigen to keep my water crystal. What would I change though It's not like there's much room for fiddling surely?

Well, you could consider reducing the amount of sponge in there, this may increase the flow but at the potential cost of mechanical filtration... Of course, polishing pads would restrict flow a bit, so if you can live without them thats something else to consider...

Also, with the Hydor external you might find this is reducing the flow a bit. Couldn't say though as I've never used one (though I want one). I've also been told a number of times to reduce the length of hose to as short as possible to help with reduced flow. Something I will be doing when I get the next tank setup. All the hose will have only a little slack if I can do it that way.

I guess its a case of finding the balance :) Would be interesting to see how the spray bar works out 8)

after algae update coming tonight or tomorrow.

Back