D-D nano cube, lighting question

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by baron von bubba, 17 Aug 2009.

1. baron von bubba

baron von bubba Member

hi,
    i have a chance of a D-D nano cube (24 uk gallons) for very cheap, it was previously set up as a marine, so replacing the lights is first thing i need to do.
    so, does anyone know if this tank will run with just one tube? (my luminaire over my other tank wont run if you remove one tube) want it set up as a low tech tank so really cant use both tubes (36w each).
    i guess maybe i could just cover one up if i have to have both running, but this seems wastefull.

also, any suggestions CHEAP substrate?
    was thinking of potting soil mixed with cat litter, capped with plain gravel?
    reason i was thinking of mixing it is, i plan to have a fairly deep substrate in the rear left corner and i dont want to have deep soil. also i would lose the benifit of the soil if i add deep gravel on top of a thin layer of soil?
    hope this makes sense? :0/

2. James Marshall

James Marshall Member

Is there any way you can raise the lamps to a greater height above the tank.
    Raising the lamps just 6 inches will considerably reduce the intensity of the light that reaches the plants.

Cheers
    James