• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

d2's Planted Tank Adventurama

d2creative

Hi all!
After more than a decade and several successful builds in the Saltwater Reef hobby, I've decided to jump ship and try my hand at this planted tank thang. I need something new to learn but still need to have a tank in the house, so I figure let's try something a little different and go green! Isn't that what all the cool kids are doing these days? :grin2:

I took down the reef a few months back. Meanwhile, I set up a little 7g cube that I've been fooling around with to kind of dip my toe in and start familiarizing myself with freshwater planted practices. But it's really just scratching the surface. For the big tank, I'm going all in! And I'm going to need some (lots) help along the way. I hope you all will be patient with me as I fumble my way through. I do understand the basics of fish keeping and growing things underwater. I just need to mentally let go of some things and pick up new ideas/practices if that makes sense.

Anyway, let's get on with the show, shall we? :)

Here's a quick rundown of some of the basics of this build.

Tank: WaterBox Clear Pro 6025 - 143 gallons (541 Liters)
Lighting: (3) GHL Mitras 7004
Controller: GHL Profilux 4
Doser: GHL Doser 2.1 <--- will be implemented later, but I have it from my Reef tank

Those are the current "knowns".

Now to the "unknowns" and "leaning towards" items...

Filtration: Thinking of starting with a Fluval FX6 and possibly adding a second one later if needed
Co2: 10lb tank? And Dual Stage Regulator needed. Suggestions welcome.
Heater: Possibly something in-line?
Water Changes: Leaning towards setting up some sort of Auto Water Change system

Fish, Plants and Scape style: Going for more of a nature-scape, Amano type of thing but maybe not so plant heavy. A good amount of hardscape with large branch. I'm not really sure. I think I'm just going to have to feel it out. I'd really like to try Discus. But I know they prefer warmer water which limits plant selection. So I'll be talking with the guys at ADG here in Houston to help figure that out.

It will probably have a pretty asymmetrical setup, partly to help hide equipment in the tank, and partly because the tank is being located close to a corner of the room.

Which brings me to the final part of my first post of this build... the tank location.
The tank will be located on this empty wall, next to the large sliding glass doors, behind the sofa.

i-sMbVSGw-XL.jpg

i-nprbkkV-XL.jpg

i-5VGDPRd-XL.jpg

That's it for now! Comments and suggestions appreciated. I'm here to learn and share ideas. :)
There will be more coming next week as the lights and hopefully the tank arrive!
Thanks!

You’re in the US so I’d absolutely go with GLA regulator
(I don’t know what ADG uses in their shop tanks, likely they’re using decent kit)

Discus vs Planted
I don’t know how much ADG has done in this regard (the discus tanks I've seen on their website tend to be hardscape dominant with few to no plants), but Takashi Amano featured several large planted tanks with discus (not sure how many are still available online, especially with running details)
Adrie Baumann has done several planted discus tanks for clients, most recent (so worth raising any questions in comments)
FB link

For filter, I’d likely go with Oase 600 x 2 for more even flow rate through the aquarium (I prefer this sort of heater over the Hydor Inline which has always been subject to the same overheating failure (while Hydor claims to take these events seriously, nothing has changed significantly in the heater design to prevent the flaw)

The prefilter design makes it very easy to clean daily or weekly

Im a great Eheim fan, but I don’t believe they’re offering any thermal filters for the NA market - you might look at how Green Aqua is filtering their 650liter tank

Great, I'll check out the GLA reg.

I had looked at Oase early on but reviews seemed to be mixed... enough to make me hesitate on purchasing.
I'll take a look again.

And that discus tank looks amazing!

Dennis yes GLA Co2 regulators are great that is what I use.
I am doing a sump on my 120p as I don’t want to crawl around on the floor any more.
Might look at Rainbow fish too as they put on quite a show with their colors.

had looked at Oase early on but reviews seemed to be mixed... enough to make me hesitate on purchasing.
I'll take a look again.

George Farmer’s detailed video

ADG should have some up and running they can demonstrate/allow you some hands on
Oase has been working through some issues (likely as production has increased) but their customer service has been excellent
(I love my Eheims BUT they have zero customer service in Canada, not sure the US is much better - though specific retailers may provide replacements/parts etc)

Thanks for George's vid. I missed that one! I'll look at them again. Good to know about their customer service, and I see they have a USA store.
ADG has them in stock, not sure if any are running. They were running a lot of those polished stainless canister filters.

So TODAY IS FINALLY NEW TANK DAY!
UPS Freight should be swinging by the house later this afternoon. :cool:

Dtl51vvXcAI2TXG.jpg

This living Room has the size of my house :lol:

Perfect place to fit an aquascape, curious to see the tank too:thumbup:

Your house looks awesome mate and love your style going big after you had a smaller trial tank

Getting something plumbed in to help you with water changes as you mention would definitely be the way to go with such a big tank and since it's right next to an external wall

LOL, thanks guys. :)

IT'S HERE!!! :woot:

I've got a vid I'm working on but here's a few pics after I dug into it to make sure it made the trip in one piece.

One thing I've got to say... it's a lot bigger in person than on paper!!! :wideyed:

i-qzst9Q9-XL.jpg

i-F6x6rHc-XL.jpg

i-6Bv3Psw-XL.jpg

i-FMNMRrs-X2.jpg

i-7jt4CNH-X2.jpg

First vid for the new build! Had a little help with this one. :happy:

I need to make a decision on the filter.
I'm down to two.
Fluval FX6 and Oase Biomaster 600 Thermal
One major concern is the power. The fluval is rated much higher, but how accurate are these number? I read somewhere that the Oase rating is much closer to reality. Maybe the two aren't that far apart???

Pros for Fluval:
Stronger Flow
Self starting
Auto air evacuation
Can probably get away with one for awhile

Pros for Oase:
Integrated Heater
Easy clean pre-filter
Smaller diameter tubing fits Lilly Pipes
Customer service

Probably going to need two of the Oase right away or fairly quickly. Or at least one plus a power head?

Interested in what everyone else thinks.

Thanks!

Though Fluval series 7 is rumoured to have sorted a lot of their issues, I’ve not gotten an update from users

Obviously FX6 is still older series - if you add fittings to allow use of lilypipes, inline heater, CO reactor etc, FX6 flow will reduce significantly - motor depends upon minimal backpressure to maintain “promised” flow rate

In contrast, Eheim Professional series is designed to maintain flow despite increasing back pressure

I don’t know how Oase performs against back pressure, but a weekly rinse of the prefilter should certainly maintain clean flowing media

Back