• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

d2's Planted Tank Adventurama

I'm curious to see if your Oase filter has any problems with purging air. The Oase 600 I have that's been in use for two weeks as started to purge air like every 5 minutes. Seems like a known issue.

Starting to plant!
Picked up some Monte Carlo locally (see why below the pics) so added some water to the tank and got to planting.
It's a mix of tissue culture and submersed potted. The potted was actually easier to work with because there was a distinct root system.
The tissue culture was much thicker/more lush, but I had a heck of a time trying to find the roots as they were just kinda all mixed up within the leaves.
So I did what I could but i know I planted a bunch of healthy leaves. Hopefully that is ok.

i-pNBzn4J-XL.jpg

i-2r2qK5J-XL.jpg

i-DqTht2T-XL.jpg

So first thing LAST monday morning (6 days ago now) I ordered approx $300 worth of plants from BucePlant.com
I never got shipping info so i finally contact them Thursday to ask when they would be shipping. I get an email back saying they had been trying to contact me (I received no emails or phone calls) because the Monte Carlo they had left wasn't up to par. Well that's good they didn't want to send out subpar plants but how long was that going to go before they picked up the phone? So i had them refund me for that portion which they did immediately. Never got an answer to the shipping. Asked again on Friday and have still not heard anything. So tomorrow will be a week and still no plants have shipped. Not a good experience so far.

So for now, this is all i have to plant, and why I picked up the MC locally yesterday. Which was hard to find.
Any tips as I wait for the rest? I planned on at least spraying down the Monte twice per day. Or should I flood the tank more, to cover most of what I planted?

I think keep it dry start until have more plant loads to combat the algae. And the plants have jnlimited co2 and can have high light, Experience with the plant company you mention doesnt sounds good but hope it all arrives soon.

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It looks like you already started the dry-start-method more or less.
Keeping the leaves of the MC moist and humidity high will be the biggest challenge in such a big tank.

I hope you received an update from Buce by now with the shipping info of the order.

I ended up flooding the tank just enough to cover the MC.
So far so good, nothing floating! lol ;)

And no... still nothing shipped from Buce and no response to my email conversation with them. What a crap vendor.

First batch of plants and water is in!
Both Oase Biomaster 600 filters are running, and they are completely silent. I can't tell the tank is even running. A little bit of a change for me after running a reef tank with a sump and skimmer. lol

Ammonia is sitting steady at 0.5
Water has gotten a little cloudy.
Starting points for kh is 2, gh is 4, ph is 6.4
Mixing up my first batch of remineralized ro/di water now.

i-RFWnJLV-XL.jpg

i-NpghS3m-XL.jpg

First fish went in friday... 8 Ember Tetras. :)
Everybody is OK so far! This bunch of 8 was a test. I'll go back for another 16 probably if they are running the same deal of 8 for $26.

I also have some more plants on the way this week.
The current ones are mostly doing ok. A few things have melted but some are showing new growth.
Finally got the auto water change fully functional this weekend.

And yes... i need a surface skimmer. :p

i-JWgmXxG-XL.jpg

i-8vfzLM3-XL.jpg

i-gMkjDss-XL.jpg

i-b5SrDmq-XL.jpg

i-Cp6xtmZ-XL.jpg

Reactions: JEK
Is it a big batch of plants coming up? I would be a little worried if I had such a small plant biomass at the beginning. Maybe add some floating plants? Ember tetras look great!

Is it a big batch of plants coming up? I would be a little worried if I had such a small plant biomass at the beginning. Maybe add some floating plants? Ember tetras look great!
Thanks! It's another pretty decent sized batch.
Being a newbie, I'm a little unsure of how much to buy and how far it will go once in the tank. So I'm just doing it in smaller batches I guess. lol :)

Thanks! It's another pretty decent sized batch.
Being a newbie, I'm a little unsure of how much to buy and how far it will go once in the tank. So I'm just doing it in smaller batches I guess. lol :)
You’re best off to cram the tank with as many plants as you can, they’ll compete against algae and provide a more stable environment.

lovely scape by the way!

cheers

conor

You’re best off to cram the tank with as many plants as you can, they’ll compete against algae and provide a more stable environment.

lovely scape by the way!

cheers

conor
I'm working on it as fast as I can!!! :hilarious:

Swapped out one of my intakes for this... Cleared the water surface within 20-30 minutes! :eek:

i-pJ2pLh3-XL.jpg

New photos since i added some more plants this week.

i-7vj6BXt-XL.jpg

i-9zzgf6D-XL.jpg

i-mBmzCVC-XL.jpg

i-3ZFvMpT-XL.jpg

i-CG3S2fw-XL.jpg

i-3Z8v4XB-XL.jpg

i-g8sPM6v-XL.jpg

Great pictures as usual.
I love the detail on the corys.
With some Otocinclus and cuc, you can control the small patches of algae that will pop up soon.

What is your CO2 rate and daily water change volume now?

Looks much better with more plant mass and fish look great.

USA and big city prices I guess. ;)
And that's on sale for buying a bunch vs 1.

Looks much better with more plant mass and fish look great.

Thanks, and I still need more stems on the right side. And probably more buca or something on the wood.
Great pictures as usual.
I love the detail on the corys.
With some Otocinclus and cuc, you can control the small patches of algae that will pop up soon.

What is your CO2 rate and daily water change volume now?
Thanks, been having problems finding good Octos. Just bad timing. lol
I don't know what the c02 rate is, still need to get a meter. Using the drop checker as my guide right now to make sure it's not too much.
pH has been on a steady rise, and I'm currently dropping it less than 1.

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 8.12.21 AM.png

Back