• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dangerous pressures?

neelhound

Hi ive ahd bad experience with the pressure dropping below 30 bar i think- the red area on the regulator.The co2 dumped into the tank and killed many fish. However now its slightly over 60bar which is where a red mark is-what sort of danger does this create?Is it just because i have a solenoid on?thanks

The dial is showing the high pressure side of your regulator. In other words the pressure inside your CO2 bottle. A figure of around 60 bar is perfectly normal and is what it should be reading. As long as there is some liquid CO2 inside the bottle then your guage will read around 60 bar. Only once all the liquid CO2 has disappeared leaving just CO2 gas will the pressure start to drop. When the pressure starts to drop some people swap out the bottle to prevent a 'tank dump'. It's virtually empty at this point anyway so you aren't losing any.

At room temperature your bottle of CO2 won't go above about 60 bar. If it does there is something wrong with the guage.

The solenoid is on the other side of the regulator so is on the low pressure side. Some regs have the pressure preset whilst others you are able to adjust the low side pressure. You should have it around the 1 to 1.5 bar mark.

James

thanks,
is it a big problem if the low pressure side is under 1 bar by a bit?

yes but when the high pressure one went too low it killed my fish...is the low pressure one not that importaNT?thanks

is it just to do with the adjustment knob for bps? if so if i know how much i need i suppose its not important? thanks

Back