• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dan's "Dagobah"

Excellent end result, fantastically lush. You should be proud :clap: I find a tank always reaches a peak and then overgrows it's self but I'm just lazy. Looking foreward to the next one - Tom

Thanks very much for the positive comments everyone ;)

Update on the strip down of Dagobah.
I removed all plants except for the crypts. These Wendtti green's had been with me since I used to keep goldfish and had grown in really well so I let them stay put. The HC cuba had grown so dense that when I barely touched it to remove algae the whole carpet just let go of it's hold in the substrate. On inspection, the root base was rotten so the plant was binned. The only other plant worth keeping was the Pogostemon Helferi so I trimmed all the old poopy leaves and kept just the best plantlets.

Straying aside slightly, I just flicked through all the pictures from start to finish of this scape and can't believe where I started! Apologies for the photo's, they are phone pictures.
:text-imsorry:

This is day one when that magical "Green Machine" package arrived. I really did have no idea and just kind of plonked plants here and there!
photo-19.jpg

This pic is at about 3-4months on..I really like this pic showing one of the 5 Serpae Tetra's happy in his forest domain. This was his area of the tank and if any other inhabitants even came close he would flare up and see them off!
photo-18.jpg

Note to self: Must start using my actual camera :oops:

Anyway..Being a one tank owner I needed somewhere for my fish to live, so for the foreseeable future the tank will remain up and running. Whilst removing the plants I decided to clean the substrate and at the same time have a play with the hard scape. Re-positioning the hard scape was limited as the crypts take up a large portion on the tank but I managed a few different angles and settled for this while i decide which direction I'm going to take for the next scape. I've re-planted all of the saved Pogostemon Helferi around the newly positioned hard scape and I'm happy with the way it looks for now. It's nice to be able to see some of the inhabitants too but I can't help but look in the Tropica bible to ponder over background plants. I'm leaning towards filling the background in with Cyperus Helferi...Any thoughts? I'd really like to hear what some of you would do with this if it were yours?
photo-13.jpg

Thanks again for looking!

Dan

chilled84 said:
Do you use any form of co2 in this setup. I swear i seen some perling on that hc in one ov them pics, AMAZING! specialy without co2. wow. :D

Thanks mate, I use 2ml of Easycarbo daily and the original set up did used to pearl quite a bit really.

Cheers
Dan

Back