• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dan's Dennerle Nano

hmmm, dunno, i've had the tank about 6 months and they've bread twice, all in Little Mountain :lol: (11l)

Hi,

Wow nice, i bought the same tank about two months ago too. But havnt really dot anything good with it. I tried just doing the standard dennerle ferts plan (just their supplied traces every day) and obviously it didnt work due to the lack of macros so i ripped my first attempt down. I was expecting more from the substrate though, it was the first time i had used to the two layer, one inert, one active, thing. The stems i had in there suffered very badly. Again though my original dosing was crap.

I'm happy to see this post as it can give me a good bunch of pointers on the optimal setup for these Dennerle tanks. I also was thinking about taking the chunky dennerle filter out and have changed my light to two arcpods thinking the HC might need more light, but much prefer the Dennerle Amazon colour.

Best Regards,

John

p.s and i also used some "dragon stone"

Hiya, i'm glad you like it.

I've kust gone out and got the FULL dennerle fertiliser range for another project that i'm doing including A1 NPK so i'll be giving that lot a go and reporting back. TPN+ has been working fine as you can see.

The lighting is great, if your not adding CO2 then the arcpods will be too much light IMO as you can see, my HC is fine with just the one Amazon Day :D

As for the substrate, i recon it rocks, i've also added the root tabs at the back but something is clearly good about it because the HC is positively rampant!
If you can give us an idea on what you previous setup was then maybe we can establish what was wrong.

Cheers, Dan

Dan Crawford said:
If you can give us an idea on what you previous setup was then maybe we can establish what was wrong.

Cheers, Dan

Hi,

If you don't mind your journal being hijac'ed 8) into the UKAPS "sorting out your dennerle nano" thread. :D

Personally i pretty much know my first failure with this tank was shoddy dosing and lack of loving care. I've just reset the plants so will be aiming to nail my schedule and levels in further discussion later today.

I've got a cup of tea date right now then i'm with a client doing some flyers and a website this afternoon, so will chat more this evening.

Thanks,

John

I just saw the 10l Cube on its own for 20 euros, 20l for 24 euros, 30l for 28 euros on a german site! Anywhere in the UK sell them on their own? The complete kit 10l costs 64 euros!

There are two versions of each tank, "regular" and "plus" The plus gives you ferts and food and stuff but i think thats the only difference. None are that cheap over here AFAIW You could get a tank and buy the light seperately and you'd have a bargain. There are a few HOB filters out there which would do the job nicely, i gave my filter to Thomas McMillan for Secret Santa or else you could have had that.

Dan Crawford said:
Garuf said:
A promising start! I don't think I like the black background though.
Thats fair enough mate, it's to hide the eden behind it, if i use white board it seems to go a weird green/dark grey.

How odd, are the tanks a smoked glass then? always use a very pale blue which seems to cancel the green on the glass when I try and take pictures, worth a try?

It might be worth a go mate. It's not smoked or anything and it does the same on my other tanks, it's coz the white board is placed directly up against the glass (which it has to be), if i move it back a few inches it's fine.
In the pictures there is actually no background at all, the effect comes from my 125w MV light being placed directly over the tank and no lighting around the tank which give the effect of a black background. If i illuminated the area around the tank which is white paper i'd get a much different result. I'll do it when I get a new bulb for my lighting.

Hi Dan,i love this setup mate,i think i mentioned these nanos to you when you are were at my place and i told you they have the full range at aquajardin near glos,when i first saw them i fell in love with them i love the rounded corners,Edward the manager at aquajardin has managed to get some cabinets made for the whole range of tanks and he has then on display in the shop,they are vey fairly priced,regards john

john starkey said:
Edward the manager at aquajardin has managed to get some cabinets made for the whole range of tanks and he has then on display in the shop,they are vey fairly priced
Happy days mate, i'll be in to see you next month so maybe we can pop down to Aquajardin and check them out :D

Hi Dan, sure thing mate we can have a few beers too,just let me know if you are staying over and Ann will make up the spare room for you,happy days regards john

Hi Dan,

i just bought the 20L regular version from the Water Zoo, do you think it's worth changing the filter before i start up with something else?

I'll be using ADA AS, TPN+ and easy carbo, and will only be stocking CRS. :rolleyes:

I'd say it's worth it, anything to get more volume so that conditions are more stable.

I'd think about using the original mate. It's designed for shrimp with mesh over the inlet and it dosn't look too bad either. If you don't like the look of it then get it out. They seem to work well but if volume addition is what your after as Garuf suggested then you know what to do.

I too have a 20l Dennerle nano again form the W'Zoo,

The filter on mine has been very reliable so far and is fairly discreet. Excellent for my shrimp population, id be cautious puttin an external on if ur gonna be keeping shrimp in it.
I added the Dennerle Crystalline Co2 set, very smart peice of kit, the enginnerring on the nano regulator is excellent, rivels my aquamedic full size regulator for percision.
I have also added a heater, a 10w visitherm job seems to be keeping it more stable.
Ive stuck with the dennerle substrate topped with quartz sand.
Planted with anubias nana on wood,
Utricularia graminifolia on Lave rock
and a mat of unusal Moss/plant cant recall its name.
and some more Utricularia graminifolia floating, shades my anubias nicley.
Id consider adding another 11w dennerle light, and planting the background more but dont wanna upset my moss.

Dose with dennerles nano fertilizer every day.
waterchange 30% weekly.
So far its putting my 'main' tank to shame :p

Btw the waterzoo sell these tanks 'bare' u get a base mat and the stick on background, not sure how much they are though.

Tourney said:
How's the nano going Dan, still tip top :D
Yeah, still good cheers, it's growing really well! M. mezanum is slow but the HC is flying :D

Gonna alter the path in the middle i think, maybe some ADA bright sand and some Xingu, i'll update it once i've done that.

Back