• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Dan's Pond

Dan Crawford said:
Jase said:
That's your smallest?! Where do you live? I'm bringing my fishing rod!!
Daventry, get down for the BBQ, John Sharkey as already picked peg No1 though :lol:

Hi Dan,i was known as a bit of a draw bag when match fishing,great pond mate cant wait to see it this weekend,
regards john.

Looks good Dan - look forward to seeing it on Saturday !!

I was having very similar problems with our pond - the filter just wasnt up to the job. Being a lazy git, I bought an Eazy Pod off ebay, which is basically a water butt with K1 media and it cleared things up in a week. Water is crystal clear now. The filter still needs cleaning weekly, but as Ed says, you just shut off the pump, open the airline valve, then drain it to the garden after a few minutes.

Cheers

Tony

Joecoral said:
George Farmer said:
had to fit into Dan's 28" waist spare jeans!

Good god! I didn't realise he was a supermodel in his spare time too, lol
Yep! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed - Thats awesome pal, i'm gonna do it! Shame you can't make it to the BBQ so you can show me how it's done! Looks like i'm gonna have to save up to buy the K1 though, where did you get yours from? It seems about £50 for 50 liters, Christ i'm gonna have to remortgage LOL oh well, should be worth it!
Tonser said:
Being a lazy git, I bought an Eazy Pod off ebay,
I'm gonna weigh up the costs and i might just copy you, cheers for that!

Wish I was coming down too mate. Sorry I'm busy.

The extra expense will be well worth it - it's way better at removing solids than foam and soooo much better to clean. I find a circular saw makes ideal sized slots in pipe if you don't want to drill thousands of holes with a drill!!!! I think I managed to find it at £38 for 50l but that was a year or so ago.

Love your Pond Dan.

Ed's advice is great :)

I always tried to go with more filtration the better - can never have enough. My Goldfish pond has a pond mate filter (no way big enough) and a natural plant filter. the Koi pond has a filter homemade from a wheelie bin (can't take credit my dad sourced it, we made a couple of alterations to it) we have another filter to hook up, it's just getting round to it! The bin filter has some sponge, just the white really. I don't really bother with carbon either. I have also found thou once settled and established they seem to take care of themselves! (which is great considering I'm away so much now!!) But saying that it is easier to do with a larger body of water, same with tanks really. Bigger the better.

L

Hey guys, thanks for all your advice etc. I think i'm gonna build a DIY filter with the help of Jeremy, i'll keep you informed and no doubt give instructions if we do end up doing it, it's just finding the time!

Thanks again.

SteveUK said:
While you're at it, extend it mate! Take over the rest of the garden with it!! :D That;d be awesome :D
I've thought about it mate, just not sure on "how" to do it, i'd happily do it though, you know me :D

Dan Crawford said:
SteveUK said:
While you're at it, extend it mate! Take over the rest of the garden with it!! :D That;d be awesome :D
I've thought about it mate, just not sure on "how" to do it, i'd happily do it though, you know me :D
When i did my first pond, was told go as big as you can as you'll want it bigger! i did, and i did, hence pond 2!

is it liner? can lift one side and extend it that way...?

Dan Crawford said:
Lozbug said:
can lift one side and extend it that way...?
It's lined yes, can you elaborate somewhat please?...
humm... i can see it in my head... i'll try, but i never have extended one so bear with me....

dig the hole next to your current pond, close to the edge as you can, partially fill, over lap the two edges of liner and seal together, then dig out the bit underneath holding it above water level, so like a figure 8 shape, so the seal would be the middle of the 8, smallest part. also this part can be shallower... then when the water runs over to level out both - top it up, then pond wont be to shallow for too long.

Does that make sense? i can see it in my head but not explain it too well?

:) L

i think it's how i would approach it anyways...? I'll come and help if you decide to do it!!! i LOVED doing my ponds :)

That's a perfect plan in theory Loz but in practice joining new and old liners is really hard to do without leaks. The butyl tape doesn't stick very well if there are any creases and it's hard to get an old liner to flatten out enough.

Cheers guys, I was chattin to jeremy at the weekend and like Ed says, it's not a great idea. I think what I'll do is have another, slightly smaller pond next to it. One with goldfish and one with koi. We'll see, one to think about for sure. I've got a new filter, a laguna pressure flo 12000 uvc, it's no K1 bad boy but it was next to nothing and brand new so what ya gonna do?!

Back