• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dan's Vivarium...

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hey guys, On Sunday i got myself a Poison Dart Frog - Dendrobate leucomelas and it's way cool. I got a cheap, craked Clear Seal viv at about 40 x 40 x 30 and scaped it up using local mosses and Blue Stone from TGM. It took about 30 minutes to do and i love it. I'm gonna resape it soon with Crypts, Christmas moss, Narrow ferns and maybe some stems. I just wanna monitor the humidity for a bit to see how humid it will stay etc.
Anyway, here it is.....
Frog.jpg
Crop.jpg
FullTank-1.jpg

SteveUK said:
How are you keeping humidity up?
Cheers mate, well i've built a waterfall, i have clay pebbles at the bottom topped with peat so there is plenty of moisture. Oh, of corse....i took the front glass out for the photo, sorry i should have said, so it's not hard. I have a humidity meter in there so i'll check it when i get home.

Waterfalls are like heaven to mosses! very nice :)
(is that some holger moss I spotted on the second pic...)

A properly scaped viv....coolamundo! Can`t wait to see how this turns out.

Dave.

Joecoral said:
That looks fantastic, I love it! No licking the frog tho :lol:
Ha, i have thought about it LOL
Dave Spencer said:
A properly scaped viv....coolamundo! Can`t wait to see how this turns out.
I can't stop thinkin about it, i'm gonna redo it tonight i recon, use some fossilised wood to match the background and make a proper "pond" for the waterfall.
AdAndrews said:
Looks awesome, makes me want to get one! :)
Jeremy gay had an awesome one, much bigger and it fascinated me, thats why I got one!
Tonser said:
Tremendous :D
Cheers mate :D
aaronnorth said:
that is awesome, one of the best i have seen. Well done :D
Thanks mate :oops:

definately impressed. Frog looks cool. Makes me wish I didn't have fiddly curious very young kids. Maybe I can sell them on ebay :lol:

Would love to see a full tank shot now and after full scaping :)

AC

Brilliant.

Love those little frogs. Have been wanting to set one up myself for a long time but the otherhalf seems to have suddenly grown an adversion to them.

Looks great Dan, I have thought about one of these for ages too, even spotted them at the place we visited on Saturday, any chance of some full shots to show the setup?? Cheers

Hey danielson,
That looks awesome,I've often thought about doing a viv ever since I visited the blue planet,
Don't know how the wife would react though,I'll come over sometime to see it.

Take care mate,
John.

Wow, this is great! I didn't know vivariums could look so good and you could grow aquatic plants in them. I've always fancied one and this is making me want one more. How did you create the waterfall? Is that the only thing keeping humidity up? And also, how does this keep all the plants wet etc? Is the substrate kept constantly wet? I thought the tank would overflow...

Are these frogs easy to keep then? What do you feed them on?

Nice one. ;)

Back