• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dan's Vivarium...

squiggley said:
Cheers Squiggley, thats a cracking site, thats what i've been using lately.

I've been chatting to Shirley Aquatics in Oxford and they have loads of frogs in so that looks like the place to go, although they're mightily expensive compared to various websites.

Hi Dan, just noticed this thread, and thought I'd mention I keep dart frogs too. Great viv you've put together there. Leucs are a pretty small dart frog and will do fine in a smallish viv. If you want to get any more Dendro's the going rate for leucs is normally around the £20 mark for juveniles/small adults...they are great frogs, full of character :D
Have you thought about auratus, or tincs?..again nice sized frogs and easy to keep.

Best place to get hold of frogs is at frog meets organised by the dendroworld forum, members normally have leucs, tincs and auratus among others, for far more sensible prices not to mention ventilated vivs and plants too
I'll post a link if anyone wants it and its not breaking any forum etiquette?

heres a few pics of mine, hope you dont mind me posting them especially for my first real post :oops:

Blue Sipilawini Tinctorius (Dendrobates tinctorius)

BluSipmale.jpg

Isla Colon (Oophaga pumilio)

Islacolon1-1.jpg

and a nice Rio brancos pumilio (Oophaga pumilio

RioBrancofemale2.jpg

An one of my favourite thumbnail dart frogs is the amazonicus...heres one I raised myself

Ami2.jpg

To give you an idea of how big she was when she morphed heres a pic just after she left the water!!

Ami11.jpg

and NOPE that isnt a trick 10p thats a foot across :D it was that small!!!...shes only around three times that size now :wideyed:

Dan, how are you heating this? I'm about to set my cube up as a viv for crabs and Ideally I'd like an undertank heater but I honestly haven't a clue if such a thing exsisits?

Roy S said:
I'll post a link if anyone wants it and its not breaking any forum etiquette?

Posting links (that aren't spamming or blatant commercial profiteering!) is fine! Personally I'd love to see it as I've always wanted to have a tank of poison arrow frogs at school in my class at school!!!

Cracking frogs too! Are the strawberry ones (Oophaga pumilio apparently) easy to source in the UK?

Garuf said:
Dan, how are you heating this? I'm about to set my cube up as a viv for crabs and Ideally I'd like an undertank heater but I honestly haven't a clue if such a thing exsisits?
I'm not mate, sadly, i've had to break it down as my frog has escaped :( He must have jumped out whilst installing some lighting, i can see no other way it could get out!

Thanks for that info Roy and our frogs look great. I'm certainly gonna be buying some more so feel free to post away, i think a few other people would be into it if they could get frogs a little cheaper too. Posting to other sites isn't against our rules, as long as it's posted to help the members.

Are you not concerned about having a poisonous frog knocking about in your house? I would be. Shame you broke it down, I'd have kept it going and just got another frog.

I aint scared pal, i'm double hard :lol: I've handled it before and i'm still here ;)

It is a shame i broke it down, i learned a few lessons from it and now have a custom built 60d x 80w x 1220h plan in the making to replace my 80cm tank ;) i'll be sure to keep you all informed of the progress but it's an expensive old game so it's gonna take a while.

They climb in your mouth while you're asleep, that's how the kill.

Sounds good, if expensive, I'm guessing with all that hight you're getting a arboreal species?

Garuf said:
Are you not concerned about having a poisonous frog knocking about in your house? I would be. Shame you broke it down, I'd have kept it going and just got another frog.

Captive bred ones aren't poisonous - it's only in the wild that they develop the toxins At least that's what I was told when I was looking into getting some for a tank at school.

Garuf said:
I'm guessing with all that hight you're getting a arboreal species?
You got it mate, all sorts. Oh, and it'll have 30 x 60 x 80cm of water at the bottom for a shoal of cardinals or similar, it's gonna be so sweet :D

Sad to hear about the leuc, but it happens to the best at times. The dart frog hobby like aquascaping can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it.

the forum I was on about is

dendroworld.co.uk

It has regular meets with people selling everything from custom made vivs to plants and frogs...not to mention all the equipment to set up the vivs too.

Ed, pum's are getting easier and easier to obtain now, with more captive breedings going on all the time, I've got my fingers crossed in the near future I'll have some Isla Colon and Bri Bri pumilio froglets appearing 8)

You are right about captive bred darts being relatively non toxic, they sythesise the toxic alkaloids from mites and ants in their natural diets, something that isnt possible in captivity. only a couple of dart frogs are truly life threatening though, and these to my knowledge aren't available as wild caught specimens I suppose for obvious reasons! :wideyed: :D

I heat mine over really cold nights with heatmats underneath the vivs, most of the time they are just at room temperature aided by heat from the lighting. Ventilation is underneath the sliding glass front doors and top of the viv, creating a flow past the glass that prevents the glass misting up.

Vivs can be picked up pretty cheaply, mine cost me £15 each for proper dart frog vivs at one of the dendroworld meets, and I think there is someone selling some vivs at the moment in the for sale section on there. If I can help anyone out with anything about them let me know, it would be nice to help out people on a forum that has certainly helped me in the last year 8)

I'll be in touch too if I can persuade my Head that a tank full of poison arrow frogs will be the perfect thing for our new environmental classroom!

Roy S said:

dendroworld.co.uk

I tried to register at this site a while back, but because of spamming issues you have to contact the site admin to do it. But even after providing my details they requested I still can't access the site

squiggley said:
Roy S said:

dendroworld.co.uk

I tried to register at this site a while back, but because of spamming issues you have to contact the site admin to do it. But even after providing my details they requested I still can't access the site

I know Jon the Admin had major issues with spamming a little while back but it shouldnt be an issue now, 'll get in touch with him and see if there are any problems.

Ed, good species for the classroom would be leucomelas like Dans, or any of the tinctorius group both these are very bold and inquisitive, also very easy to look after. They also have the added bonus of being among the easier to breed.
You could also add auratus to the list but they tend to be a bit more secretive.

All will feed on large and small fruit flies, also lesser waxworms and bean beetles add to thier diet and are very easy to culture.

Roy S said:
Isla Colon (Oophaga pumilio)
Islacolon1-1.jpg

Roy~ This picture is stunning. If you could send me the full size pic I would love to have it as my wallpaper :D
Dan~ Shame your setup has been torn down, but looking forward to the next one :thumbup:

I'm slowly convincing my other half about them, but I think that the photo on the 10 pence was the clincher she thought they were a lot bigger.

She still squeems a bit when they show the advert for Paignton zoo when the frog appears, but I think that it now for the kids effect. We're off there at the end of the month so hopefully seeing them in the flesh will finally turn her. (I hope)

Back