• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dead camera what to get?

George Farmer said:
Thanks, murph (Stevie).

It's so tempting to wax the credit card but the missus would kill me! I suggested we swapped one of her horses for a 5D Mk2 and she was not amused! lol

I might well come pick your brains when it comes to photographing my tank for real, if thats alright!
It would be my pleasure.

One day I'll do an article for PFK on aquarium photography, as the photography hobby is becoming more accessible with excellent entry-level DSLRs.

You should deffo get a 5D Mk2 George you deserve one. You owe it to yourself! One of the guys at work is a wedding photographer and has a M2 and 5D as a backup, plus 24-70L and 70-200L that is some serious outlay on kit!

The photography in PFK would be very interesting looking forward to that.

You have lots of options within the Nikon DSLR range –

Buy a replacement second hand D40 body – Probably the cheapest option, no improvement over what you have currently but if your happy with the images from your existing D40 then it’s a perfectly reasonable purchase.

Buy a D90 – Spend a reasonable chunk of cash but get a big jump in features over your existing D40, Live View, HD Video etc.

Buy a second hand D80 body – the D80 isn’t as feature packed as the D90 but is a solid DSLR with some useful features such as the lens motor (So you are able to auto focus without having to use the AF-S lenses (The D90 will do this too)).

If you went for a D80 you could always spend the same amount as you would on the D90 but spending the rest of the cash on some fancy glass.

I have a D80 and love it but I mainly like available light photography and I would ideally like something with better high-ish iso performance, as such I've been waiting for the D700 replacement to be announced (You can follow the rumour mill on NikonRumours.com) but after about 5 months of avidly checking the rumour sites daily I decided to put it on a back burner and just get on taking pictures.

It all depends on what you want from your photos, I think many people would agree that the glass in front of the camera has more to do with the image quality than the body.

Just some ideas.

Cheers,

Tom

Yeah agreed Tom. Good stuff.

I've ended up getting a D90, been testing it over the weekend and it's pretty cool I think. I'm using my 35mm 1.8 on it only at the moment and it seems really good. The images I've got from it so far look better than the D40, not dramatically just more...'punchy' I guess is the word. I like the increased focus points over the D40's 3 and the top LCD display is very useful, I'm not used to having one of those and I like the way you can tell at a glance what you've set. Live view is a bit odd; can't get used to using that but it's good if you don't want to bend down I guess, the movie mode is okayish but fiddly to me, although it'll be fun to experiment with it. I think it's been a sensible option.

Glass is definately I reckon the key, I don't know if this is applicable more to film cameras though than digital, if you shoot film having some nice glass infront of it seems much more important than the body. With digital I reckon a lot to do with it is the sensor and the way the camera processes it's image, then you have the whole world of post processing, RAW shooting etc. Just musing here.

Back