• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dealing with Staghorn algae

Aqua Hero

So I checked my tank saw that a particular batch of weeping moss has Staghorn algae all over it.

What I'm confused about is that:

1. That area has high flow (the moss is constantly moving gently)
2. Has the best access to co2 (micro bubbles are hitting it more because it's elevated by hardscape)
3. The Spiky moss underneath it which has less access to flow and Co2 has less of the algae on it.
4. Other patches of weeping moss that have similar access to co2 and flow don't have the algae.

The only thing about that particular weeping moss that is different is that it picks up alot of detritus (especially when the filter sprays crap out when you have just finished cleaning it)

I use a 800lph filter with spray bar and a hydro Koralia 900lph pump. I have the two directly above a Co2 bazooka diffuser. Back to front position.

Ei dosing and have 4 t5HO bulbs for 10hrs daily. Co2 comes on 1 hr before lights.

My tank is 120 litres

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Hi
Honest question,no insult intended.How often do you clean the filter ?
The only time I've had staghorn is when I've got slack with tank husbandry.Either dirty filter,or disturbed substrate and not done a larger enough WC.

I do water changes weekly 50-70% depending on how much I trim back.

But I clean my filter monthly. Haven't cleaned my tubing at all, but I have ordered a tube cleaner brush.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Back