• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Death by dropchecker!

amy4342

Just as it says in the title - a cardinal, inside the drop-checker bulb. Not, like, caught in the neck - INSIDE the bulb. It's not as if it was a small fish - it was practically doubled up in there. I know it wasn't in there very long as I happened to be doing a wc at the time, but I'm assuming lack of 02 lead to asphyxiation. This happen to anyone else?

yikes, that seems like the theme from the horror movie. Sorry for your lost, but hopefully it's an isolated incident. :(

How is that possible? My drop checker is full of air, fish dont do air, they do water...

Sorry to hear but i am a bit curious about how exactly the fish died , did he get into the DC fluid bulb ,, how wide is the kneck on your DC ?

thats one dumb cardinal!

Tell me about it! I must have a track record for having some really stupid fish! I had a red-eye tetra who got stuck in the window of some cheesy ornament and I had to pull him out, and a Krib who tried to eat a corydoras, who was apparently not happy with this decision, and stuck his barbs through the mouth of the Krib, nearly suffocating the Krib and nearly dying from an infection when he was then pulled out. I mean, seriously.

Sorry to hear but i am a bit curious about how exactly the fish died , did he get into the DC fluid bulb ,, how wide is the kneck on your DC ?

Yes, he actually got into the DC bulb fluid. Apparently, the neck is wide enough for a cardinal to jump through the (smallish) air bubble and up the neck. I just wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it!

I hope my microrasboras will not be so stupid. Afterall, it was a characin. They're not the brightest stars in the sky. :lol: Well, we can always attach a bit of fine mesh to the drop checker. It'll allow air to go through, but will prevent fish stupidity.

llj

Ok, this is now getting rediculous! 've been staying in a friends house since Sunday, and returned home today to find not just one, but TWO fish in the drop checker bulb! A rummy nose and a lime green tetra :(. I actually took proof pics this time, because it's just unbelievable, but I'm not sure if I can post them because they're obviously a bit gruesome. The fish had obviously been in there a while since they were quite decomposed and it smelled really really bad!!! I'm thinking of maybe supergluing some fishing wire or fine mesh over the opening, I don't think this will affect the co2 reading?

I know - it's unbelievable! I'm seriously gutted - what do you think about supergluing a bit of mesh over the neck?

Im shocked that he managed that....

TDI-line said:
Lol, this is taking nano's to the extreme. :lol:

Try planting in that.......

Back