• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Decent plant dealers.

Murphy-18

Hi, does anybody know of any good, cheap plant sites? I've been looking at this one site(www.birstall.co.uk) and it was very expensive.Surely thet are not this expensive in most shops. Or even if anybody knows of any decent shops in the northwest, that would be a great help. I'm loking for some lowlight foreground plants, which i cant find anywhere.

Appreciated.

Alas all plants are this expensive, much more expensive than they're often worth I feel. Plants alive are worth a try as are Java, I've not had good experiences with either however.

Ordering plants from your local Maidenhead Aquatics or Pets@Home will be far cheaper than buying from anywhere online (in some cases more than 50% saving). P@H do the full range of Tropica plants, and most MA's deal with Aquafluer which are just as good, if not better.

Because P@H and MA don't generally have the equipment and knowledge needed to keep aquatic plants though, its best to pick them up on the day they are delivered before snails and algae get at them :)

Murphy-18 said:
Hi, does anybody know of any good, cheap plant sites? I've been looking at this one site(http://www.birstall.co.uk) and it was very expensive.Surely thet are not this expensive in most shops.
I use Birstall Aquatics as they are the only Tropica supplier near me that I know of. They do a deal on buy three and get the cheapest free but this maybe for collection only. They order from Tropica on Mondays and delivery is usually on Thursday (from Denmark), I get down there quick and pick them up and are top quality. Birstall along with so many other LFSs don't know how to keep the plants and their display tank is atrocious, having said that it's better than their fish tanks that display non-aquatic plants.

Have a look at the "where to buy" section of this forum for localised shops and reviews http://ukaps.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

I just ordered a collection off ''www.plantsalive.com'', which is much cheaper than anywhere else i looked at. I do have a pets at home near me in liverpool, the plant variation isnt that good.

Thanks anyway Simon. :D

Hello Simon, I live in the Northwest (Manchester) 2 local Pets at Home stores Bolton and Stockport usually have a good supply of Tropica plants, BAS in Bolton carry Dennerle plants, all near to Motorway junctions. I think these stores usually get a pick n mix box supplied and picked by the Plant companies, but if you are after a specific plant that Tropica sells I can recommend 'the Green Machine'. Well worth the trip and not that far from Liverpool. If the plants seem a little more expensive i think it is that they are specifically ordered and not just part of a general mixed bag. Great place to visit.

Sean

Garuf said:
Alas all plants are this expensive, much more expensive than they're often worth I feel. Plants alive are worth a try as are Java, I've not had good experiences with either however.

i have ordered from plants alive before, and i had a good experience with them, i will be ordering again soon

www.livingwatersonline.co.uk phone them and they will post.. they tend to hold instock more of the rarely seen plants in the uk. Check their site weekly, to see whats new instock. Ive had plants posted from them arriving in perfect condition. Id say they know whats what.

Good to know hands on experience!

steve123 said:
http://www.livingwatersonline.co.uk phone them and they will post.. they tend to hold instock more of the rarely seen plants in the uk. Check their site weekly, to see whats new instock. Ive had plants posted from them arriving in perfect condition. Id say they know whats what.

What sort of prices were their plants, Steve?

al prices differ depending on current xchange rate, or landed price,ATM £0.48 per stem of blyxa japonica. HC turfs 9.95 at the mo. stems such as Hygors as little as 27-30p per stem specie pending. Acid lovers Eriocaulon setaceum 50p per stem.
The plants arrived in perfect condiction, royal mail. courier option given.
great service overall no bull.

steve123 said:
al prices differ depending on current xchange rate, or landed price,ATM £0.48 per stem of blyxa japonica. HC turfs 9.95 at the mo. stems such as Hygors as little as 27-30p per stem specie pending. Acid lovers Eriocaulon setaceum 50p per stem.
The plants arrived in perfect condiction, royal mail. courier option given.
great service overall no bull.

I have been in the shop itself... can not recommend them highly enough. They are clearly in it for the love of it which says it all to me.

Anyboy been buying from outside of the UK? I live in Sweden and the shops don't have mutch. I would like to by on the net.

TYB

ive bought plants from http://www.java-plants.com/ reasonably priced and has a guarantee of arriving alive otherwise a refund or replacement.
i live in sweden and have found the postal service to sweden is slow, taking just over a week. but overall i am happy with their service.

Back