• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Decent Tripod

oldwhitewood

Me again. Does anyone have any opinons on Tripods? I've been using a jessops one I borrowed recently but I find it really heavy and cumbersome and quite unwieldy to use. I do a lot of stuff walking round woodland and I want something I can get quite low down with also, so I've been set to get a Benbo Trekker.

But then quite by chance I was in Jessops on Tuesday and I spotted this manfrotto tripod, the MN-785B Modo Maxi Tripod with Head. I think it's aimed at more the compact user but this thing is as light as a feather literally! and it's about £50. I'm not sure how it will cope with my D40 though I am worried it might be too heavy. I'm out and about on my bike a lot and I want something I can hook on my rucksack which doesn't weigh a ton.

31lu-MmbHCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have read reports of it being a bit unsturdy with a big SLR so I thought I might fit a hook on the centre column thing and hang my bag off it, then I reckon it would be pretty solid?

What do you guys think, is it false economy?

Would be nice to see what people say, I haven't got a tripod and was looking for one this week, the one I have is not good enough for DLSR! I have a manfrotto monopod which I use with my 400mm lens has its pretty heavy, and its excelent quality and great for going wildlife "hunting".

Joecoral said:
I've been using a Velbon CX640 Tripod, is serves me fine, light, pretty sturdy. But then I don't use it a whole lot currently

That is the one I use. I find the head to be cumbersome and a bit awkward to use, but I suppose tripod photography isn`t something we do in a hurry, so I am sticking with mine, too.

Dave.

I wouldn't worry about weight of tripod as long as you fix a hook or fastener to the bottom part of the central pillar and hang your cam bag off this. This steady's the pod nicely and also lowers the center of gravity lessening the chance of spills. If you are after a more mobile camera rest go for a monopod. You really only need a heavy tripod in the studio where low light and max depth of field are order of the day with consequently longer exposure times. I've got a slik tripod and it has way too many features for mobile photography but is a good crossover between mobility and studio work.

Back