• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Decommissioning Equipment - RIP not selling thread

I recently had to move house and got rid of a lot of fish stuff that had accumulated in my spare room, some stuff with hindsight would have been better making the journey with me and having some TLC spent on them but hey ho.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing and to be honest if nothing else having a massive clear out does do wonders for the mental space, (although I'd advise having a cooling off room/area for anyone considering or in the unfortunate enough position to have to be moving think about it and wait a week before chucking ought).

Here's to my eheim 2327, a beautiful big beast that I paid my LFS in weekly instalments such was my need for it back in the day. By the end though the element had burned out, the float mech was goosed and it was piddling a nonsense return to the tank running as a normal filter.

What's your most painful treasure you've had to take to the recycling centre?

I was going to ask about the magic box of fish junk where you look for something and emerge 20 minutes later forgetting what you went into but thought its far too cheerful for a sunday morning :)

I have an 18ft fish house that's been mothballed for a few years
It's too painful to get ride of anything in there
If needed I could get it all up and running within a few days

The most painful thing I've given away was my koi pond 28x12x6 feet deep when I left my mothers home it's now a flower bed

Then there's a brand new 1 horsepower pond pump I saved up for
It's was going on my koi pond but didn't even get installed as I moved north
It sat for years wanting a pond to run, so did my heart but marriage and kids just kept in crying in the loft along with my pond dreams
Finally gave it away a few years ago
Good bye to my koi pond dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deary me Dean and there was me feeling all melancholic and sorry for myself too, sorry to hear buddy.

You're the second person I've spoken to recently who's had to decommission a pond, a guy I help do water changes for had a similar story years ago when his kids arrived. It led to us musing about the amount of hobby related nonsense we've bought over the years. Actually not just nonsense good solid equipment just for a different purpose as you progress through the different stages of the obsession.

Just had a look at your profile but cant see if you've listed what you're running at present? But I imagine everything feels small fry in comparison. Although my Trigon's been running for about a decade I'd let it go to bare bones water changes and let it run itself for the past few but having it there to return my attention to at the start of the year is a godsend. So I'm completely with you about the fish house stuff if you've got the room. The thought you can get it up and running (maybe not fish ready) in a weekend is a tasty consolation I Imagine.

Hope you're firing on all cylinders

PS felt wrong liking your thread but I'm a desperado wee chap :)

Back