'Deep Rooted' - Andyh's 35l Nano

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,924
Location
Derby
Hello,

I really enjoyed putting my journal together for my 60l Kitchen tank, so i will be putting together a complete journal for my new set up.

I have been doing a fair amount of research and taking inspiration from lots of scapes, including submissions for the ADA aquascaping contest and many of the UKAPS journals to get ideas.

The key thing for me is that its going to be different from my kitchen set up (see link below),
this is because "I got wood!" :lol: :lol:
Already purchased a great piece of Sumatra wood and have been cultivating a couple of mossy/fissidens branches in my shrimp tank.

Equipment List so Far:

1. Aquarium, 35L 50cmL x 25cmW x 30cmH (approx 20"x10"x12" for you old school type people)
2. CO2 pressurized, Wave Dual Gauge Co2 Regulator with Built in Solenoid and a JBL 500g refillable bottle with glass bubble counter and diffuser.
3. Lights 2 x 18w compact T5 giving a total of 36w or just over 1 watt per litre
4. Substrate, ADA Amazonia, ADA Power sand s.
5. Filtration, already mature Eheim external 2222, 500lph. Not decided on a heater yet, or whether I actually need one as this room is always warm.
6. Ferts, will be using the ADA products as they were such huge success in my other tank.

nb; On this tank, I am going to use a spray bar for the first time after seeing them being used in a number of tanks on here, I want to trial this to see what success I have.

I am planning on heading to TGM this weekend to get the ADA stuff, should have some pictures up then.

In terms of the design at the moment its looking like its going to based around a "Tree Root style Setup". Its going to have moss, Fissidens, some narrow leaf/miniature ferns. I think I would also like to try some Glosso as i have never had this in a scape.

Can anyone recommend a Narrow fern? I want something on the smaller side.


As always, thanks for looking :thumbup:

Andyh
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,065
Location
Cambridgeshire
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

Sounds exciting, Andy!

You've set your own standard very high already, so no pressure to come up with the goods again!

You're lighting sounds ideal and to help keep algae at bay and minimise maintenance you could consider running just the one tube for the majority of the photoperiod. Plants do well on relatively little light if other conditions are ideal i.e. CO2, nutrients and circulation. See how you go with the glosso, but I've carpeted in low light with non-CO2 (Easycarbo).

Narrow fern is great, but any Microsorium will soon fill a 35 litre. Also consider needle fern, but you'll probably have to source it online. I think some of our members are growing it (Supercoley) so it may be worth PMing. It's easy to keep it in check though by pruning leaves from the rhizome. You can get brutal and hack all the leaves back to the rhizome when you first set up the tank. It'll look ugly for a while but the new growth should be really healthy and compact - ideal for a small tank.

Have fun at TGM with your ADA shopping list! Try and get some pics of Andy Mac's new 'scape if you can...

All the best. Yet another journal to watch. The UK aquascaping scene is rockin'! :D
 

myboyshay

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2009
Messages
187
Location
South Shields, Tyne and Wear
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

I'm excited for you Andy...pressures on eh!

I'm sure you'll do a great job and I'll be watching your journal, your "kitchen tank" is a brilliant journal.

I'll be trying the wood next time (won't be for a while though, i'll be using the same tank).

Good luck mate!

Mark
 

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
Staff member
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
1,986
Location
Flintshire, North Wales
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

sounds like its going to be a nice setup andy. Looking forward to it :) As George says the needle is nice but tis getting hold of its thats the problem. I havent looked but whats the fern that viktor is using in his nano as that looks really nice?

The glosso sounds like a nice touch as its not used as much nowadays with HC being popular. Shame im not around this weekend as I would have popped up to TGM to say hello and have a browse.
 

Steve Smith

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2007
Messages
4,422
Location
Leamington Spa, UK.
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

Sounds like a sweet setup Andy. I have needle java and narrow java, pm me and let me know how much you need, or for some pics and I'll see what I can do. Would only ask for a UKAPS donation :)
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,924
Location
Derby
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

George Farmer said:
Sounds exciting, Andy!

You've set your own standard very high already, so no pressure to come up with the goods again!

You're lighting sounds ideal and to help keep algae at bay and minimise maintenance you could consider running just the one tube for the majority of the photoperiod. Plants do well on relatively little light if other conditions are ideal i.e. CO2, nutrients and circulation. See how you go with the glosso, but I've carpeted in low light with non-CO2 (Easycarbo).

Narrow fern is great, but any Microsorium will soon fill a 35 litre. Also consider needle fern, but you'll probably have to source it online. I think some of our members are growing it (Supercoley) so it may be worth PMing. It's easy to keep it in check though by pruning leaves from the rhizome. You can get brutal and hack all the leaves back to the rhizome when you first set up the tank. It'll look ugly for a while but the new growth should be really healthy and compact - ideal for a small tank.

Have fun at TGM with your ADA shopping list! Try and get some pics of Andy Mac's new 'scape if you can...

All the best. Yet another journal to watch. The UK aquascaping scene is rockin'! :D
Thanks George! thanks for "adding pressure" to this challenge!

comments noted about the lights, good point. Initially I will run with one 1 x 18w per day

Interesting comments on the ferns, What's the Latin name for needle fern? I will pm Supercoley, thanks for the 'heads up'

I am looking forward to seeing Andy Macs scape at TGM, I always spend the first hour of any trip to TGM drooling at their tanks, well after they have made me a coffee anyway! :lol:

myboyshay said:
I'm excited for you Andy...pressures on eh!

I'm sure you'll do a great job and I'll be watching your journal, your "kitchen tank" is a brilliant journal.

I'll be trying the wood next time (won't be for a while though, i'll be using the same tank).

Good luck mate!

Mark
Thanks Mark, luckliy i had this other tank spare and it fits in my xbox room, or The Snug if you ask my wife.

stuworrall said:
sounds like its going to be a nice setup andy. Looking forward to it :) As George says the needle is nice but tis getting hold of its thats the problem. I havent looked but whats the fern that viktor is using in his nano as that looks really nice?

The glosso sounds like a nice touch as its not used as much nowadays with HC being popular. Shame im not around this weekend as I would have popped up to TGM to say hello and have a browse.
I will have a look at Viktors tank ,as I am not familiar with this needle fern you and George are talking about. o_O

Yeah looking forward to having some Glosso!

Next time I am up a TGM, I will let you know, shouldn't be too long as I will be doing a plant shop in the next few weeks. :thumbup:
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,924
Location
Derby
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

SteveUK said:
Sounds like a sweet setup Andy. I have needle java and narrow java, pm me and let me know how much you need, or for some pics and I'll see what I can do. Would only ask for a UKAPS donation :)
pm on its way, would love to see some pics!
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,065
Location
Cambridgeshire
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

andyh said:
What's the Latin name for needle fern?
It's a variety of Microsorium pteropus, so probably Microsorium pteropus "needle leaves" or similar!
 

bogwood

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
410
Location
Merseyside
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

Sounds a challange for you, after the success of your first tank.
Bye the way dont forget to include your favourite plant "staghorn " :twisted:
See your later this morning at Green machine.
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,924
Location
Derby
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

bogwood said:
Sounds a challange for you, after the success of your first tank.
Bye the way dont forget to include your favourite plant "staghorn " :twisted:
See your later this morning at Green machine.
Yeah thanks for bringing up the staghorn! :rolleyes: :lol:

We had a great visit to TGM and i purchased all the hardscape bits i needed.

ADA Amazona Soil Powder
ADA Power Sand Special
Some Fossilized wood pieces

So i started:

I firstly added the frosted backing.

Then the powersand and the Amazona


So the plan for this tank is going to be some sort of Root based scape, i want to use lots of mosses, fissidens, Narrow & Needle Ferns, an stem plant at the back (not decided yet) and a glosso carpet. Its going to hopefully be completely covered with plants:

So i have created a few ideas just to get some feedback really:

Design 1 Like the wood position, i think the rocks may get lost once the plants grow

Design 2Like the bigger rocks on this, maybe could do with more rock on the left?

Design 3 Just trying the wood in a different position completely, need to play with the rocks if decide this is the way forward.

Design 4 I feel like the its giving me the V's, Need to work on the rocks a lot more.


My favourite so far is Design 2, as i like the way it looks like the roots are growing around the rocks and it give two distinct levels in the tank.

What do you guys reckon then? feedback welcomed.

I am going to play with the hardscape for a while, so i get it right.
 

rawr

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
604
Location
Enfield
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

This should be good! :) I would definately go for design one, two or possibly three.
 

Tony Swinney

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2008
Messages
1,187
Location
Cobham, Surrey
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

Hi Andy. If your kitchen tank is anything to go by, I look forward to this journal too (no pressure there then :lol: ) :D

I like the root in layouts 1 & 2, but you may find the rocks get lost once the plants go in. Can the wrongs be angled pointing more upright, rather than lying down ?

Good luck !

Tony
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,924
Location
Derby
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

rawr said:
This should be good! :) I would definately go for design one, two or possibly three.
You cant choose 3! :lol:

Tonser said:
Hi Andy. If your kitchen tank is anything to go by, I look forward to this journal too (no pressure there then :lol: ) :D

I like the root in layouts 1 & 2, but you may find the rocks get lost once the plants go in. Can the wrongs be angled pointing more upright, rather than lying down ?

Good luck !

Tony
Tony,
I assume by the by word "wrongs" you mean rocks......Well i hope you did mean that as i have stood the rocks slightly more vertically on the back right and I really like the end result. I also fitted one of the lights.


The large rock will be excllent for planting the stems behind


I really like this and once filled with plants should look even better o_O
 

hydrophyte

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2009
Messages
774
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

That's really nice. You used the piece of driftwood in an expressive way.

How built that aquarium? It is attractive.
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,924
Location
Derby
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

Well i have finally got the hardscape sorted and will be planting this on Wednesday...... So should get some pics up later this week.

I am following a similar path to my other tank and trying to plant it naturally. So all the plants merge and create a natural look. Lets hope i get it right. The hard bit for me is that i have said myself a challenge of trying to use plants that don't feature in my other scape's. DOh!
 

rawr

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
604
Location
Enfield
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

Why can't I choose three? :p (I dunno why I said three because I meant design four anyway... :lol:)

If you're other tank is anything to go by, we're in for a treat - keep us posted. :)
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,924
Location
Derby
Re: Andyh's 35l Nano scape (name to be confirmed)

rawr said:
Why can't I choose three? :p (I dunno why I said three because I meant design four anyway... :lol:)

If you're other tank is anything to go by, we're in for a treat - keep us posted. :)
Thanks and thanks for the further confusion ! :lol: :lol:

AdAndrews said:
This is gonna be good- no pressure :lol:
Yeah the pressure is slowly forming......should i drink beer or Jack Daniels whilst scaping this time (kids drinking aint clever) :D


I also have come up with a name for this scape. "Deep rooted"

Well just been setting up the CO2 in prep and so far i am impressed with my cheap Wave Dual Gauge Co2 Regulator with Built in Solenoid see pic below. Only cost £52 from uk shop

I suppose the proof will be when i connect it all later this week. o_O
 

TBRO

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2009
Messages
950
Good luck andy, I enjoyed your last journal. I'm thinking of downsizing my Osaka 260, to a 60 cm tank. I'm intrested to see how your's looks with the 2 power compacts (are they wave solaris?). I really like my wave solaris on the nano, it would be a lot cheaper than a arcadia luminaire for my new venture.

I think the narrow Java fern could look really sweet up the thick trunk bit IMO - All the best, Tom
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B here we go....in the deep end Journals 27
Similar threads

Top