• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Deep Rooted' - Andyh's 35l Nano

Loving that wood Andy, got the makings of a beauty if your kitchen scape is anything to go by :thumbup:

Also, you wont be disappointed with the Wave reg and solenoid ;)

So been to TGM today and bought my plants and bits.

Firstly got myself a new Cal Aqua Labs nano drop checker for my tank which is very cool! First one they have sold. It is very small check the 2 pence coin in the picture:
web.jpg

Well i broke my own rule of not using any plants from my other scape, decided after thinking about it and taking some advice, not to use Glosso as my carpet and went for HC. (its my favourite anyway). :geek: :geek:

Plants List:

Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow' (java fern)
Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
Cryptocoryne x willisii
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
fissidens fontanus
Taxiphyllum barbieri (java moss)
Hemianthus Callitrichoides 'Cuba'

Got myself some Crypts as i have never really had them before and also the Lilaeopsis instead of normal hair grass.

Here is me preparing the wood, with Moss and Fissidens. I just tied it on with cotton.
web.jpg

The tank during the planting process:
web.jpg

The Oliver knott way of filling the tank: (it really works, the water was crystal clear)
web.jpg

The tank after removing the paper:
web.jpg

So the tank has been running 20mins, so here are a quick few pics, looks a little bare at the moment.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I am really happy with the layout,especially the fossilised wood its got great textures and the detail up close looks great, the pics don't really do it justice. Just got to set up my co2 tomorrow night, set a few timers and hide a few cables.

Will be dosing just ADA Brighty K for the first week.

Thanks for looking :thumbup:

The setup looks great so far, and good job with journaling and getting good illustrative pictures too.

Looking good Andy....it'll look awesome when grown in.......I'm bloody itching to rescape mine now (already been sketching some ideas)

Very well done mate :thumbup:

Mark

hydrophyte said:
The setup looks great so far, and good job with journaling and getting good illustrative pictures too.
Thanks for your comments, i really like doing the journal for two reasons, 1, Feedback and ideas from all the UKAPS members. 2, Allows me look back and compare the tank at its various stages and work out what works.

Graeme Edwards said:
Bitchin mate 8)
Thanks G-man! :thumbup:
Still not sure whether I need some sort of longer grass in amongst the plants towards the rear of the tank. I am not a 100% sold on it. But i will let it grow for a while and see what happens.

myboyshay said:
Looking good Andy....it'll look awesome when grown in.......I'm bloody itching to rescape mine now (already been sketching some ideas)

Very well done mate :thumbup:

Mark

Cheers Mark, keep yours going and get another tank! o_O I am currently trying to keep 4 tanks running (although one of them is a Pico so that doesnt really count.)

The tank's looking great Andy, i'm looking forward to to seeing more pics as it grows in.

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
The tank's looking great Andy, i'm looking forward to to seeing more pics as it grows in.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James, i still haven't forgiven you :D . Thanks to your great pico journal, I have one sat on my study desk ready to enter in the comp :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Cheers Mark, keep yours going and get another tank! o_O I am currently trying to keep 4 tanks running (although one of them is a Pico so that doesnt really count.)

Tempting but I don't think I could keep two going, what with work, writing, recording and gigging with me band, looking after the little one, another one on the way.....the list goes on and on, I don't know how some of you guys have so many scapes going, hats off to you's.

I'll rescape in the new year I think (I have to have a try with wood)

Can't belive I'm saying this but I think Iwagumi long term is a bit boring to watch so my next scape I'm going to try a wood scape with slow growing ferns, anubias and moss (heavily planted).

Loving your new scape...I'll be following your journal to pick up some tips and admire your scape :thumbup:

Mark

andyh said:
Thanks James, i still haven't forgiven you :D . Thanks to your great pico journal, I have one sat on my study desk ready to enter in the comp :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: Sorry mate :lol: :lol: , Can't wait to see your pico tank, only 2 days left to enter.

Cheers,
James

myboyshay said:

Tempting but I don't think I could keep two going, what with work, writing, recording and gigging with me band, looking after the little one, another one on the way.....the list goes on and on, I don't know how some of you guys have so many scapes going, hats off to you's.

I'll rescape in the new year I think (I have to have a try with wood)

Can't belive I'm saying this but I think Iwagumi long term is a bit boring to watch so my next scape I'm going to try a wood scape with slow growing ferns, anubias and moss (heavily planted).

Loving your new scape...I'll be following your journal to pick up some tips and admire your scape :thumbup:

Mark

Mark i know what you mean about Iwagumi's, visually stunning, but nothing to keep you long term interested. My kitchen tank keeps changing, and with pruning is an ever evolving scape.

I cant keep four tanks going, it will only be two ultimately! :crazy:

James Marshall said:
andyh said:

:lol: :lol: Sorry mate :lol: :lol: , Can't wait to see your pico tank, only 2 days left to enter.

Cheers,
James

My pico will be up online this evening. I have actually enjoyed creating this mini master piece. However after seeing some of the others i feel its not quite up to par! o_O :thumbup:

So, the tank has been running 3 days now, i have also installed the CO2. The Wave regualtor seems good, slightly more sensitive on the adjustment rate than my JBl reg but still a good bit of kit.

I have also installed the nano glass drop checker, its so small.

I have installed a chisel style glass/ceramic diffuser on the rear wall of the tank under the spray bar, this should help with the spread of co2 round the tank. You should be able to spot it on the pics below (once the plants grow you won't).

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Got another pot of HC today which i am going to add to a couple of places, in the tank tomorrow when i do a water change. Also noticed that there is slight discolouration to the water from the wood, which is to be expected. I did pre-soak the wood but only for a few days. Not a problem though as the tannins will fade with all the water changes in the first few weeks.

Currently running CO2 for 6hrs per day coming on 2hrs before the lights, lights on 6hrs. Dosing just Brighty K 2ml per day.

Thanks for looking. :thumbup:

Richard2510 said:
Looks amazing Andy. Be nice to see it again in a few weeks :thumbup:

Richard

Thanks Richard :oops: Yeah, I cant wait till it fills out a little more, as it i have learnt the initial scape never quite represents the finished picture. I am just rubbish at waiting. :lol:

I am not completely sold on the scape yet as I am considering in adding a tall grass type plant at the back.

Dudes and Dudettes of UKAPS any comments on the potential plant selection thinking one of these; Blyxa japonica, Vallisneria americana 'mini twister', Vallisneria nana or Eleocharis vivipara.

My fav. being Vivipare at the moment or Nana (anybody know where i can get Vivipare from)

Any comments?

vivipara can be brought off plantsalive, you will laugh when you see the pot size.. i would go for eleocharis acicularis though. This is really coming along, are you going to grow something emmersed on the stump coming out of the water? it would look awesome, good luck with this

Adam

AdAndrews said:
vivipara can be brought off plantsalive, you will laugh when you see the pot size.. i would go for eleocharis acicularis though. This is really coming along, are you going to grow something emmersed on the stump coming out of the water? it would look awesome, good luck with this

Adam

Hey Adam,

Why will i laugh? big, small, to much to little?

You have stole my thunder!! :lol: Yes i am growing something emmersed on the stump! Thanks to "a1matt" who very kindly sent me some special plants. Thanks Matt :thumbup:
I will post some pic's later.

lol :lol: aww, was it going to be a suprise :wave:

make sure you keep a pot from tropica, or aquafleur to compare with plants alive, their pot is ridiculously small, if you want i can get a picture, i think ive still the 2 different types to compare.

Back