• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deep scratch in base, is it safe?

Nick potts

Just setting up a new shrimp tank, brand new tank which has been stored a few months, wiping the bottom and I have noticed a rather deep scratch on the outside of the bottom pane (easily catches and holds my nail if i run it over the scratch), it doesn't go through the glass and doesn't reach any edges.

So I know ultimately it will be on me to decide, but anyone have any opinions on safety?

I took some pics, not great but best I can get.

TIA

20210212_165401.jpg
20210212_165332.jpg
20210212_165544.jpg
20210212_165616.jpg

If its a scratch it will be fine. If its a crack feel it in both sides it won't.

Maybe AutoGlass Repair or a similar provider. You can also buy a cheap glass repair kit from Halfords for about a tenner - that is if you wanted to go down this route.

I'm not sure a glass repair kit will help. Car windscreens are laminates, with the repair applied under vacuum., to draw the epoxy into the crack and laminate layers. This scratch is so small, the adhesive bead will be tiny, there is nowhere for it to go and nothing for it to adhere to.

Yeah I agree it’s totally suboptimal compared to a windscreen repair under vacuum to a laminate surface but it’s better than nothing, certainly when compared to sellotape! As it’s a scratch I’ll imagine under an electron microscope it would look craggier than Glen Coe so should be plenty foothold for the resin to adhere to!

For some whatiffery, if the scratch is interior then gap filling should help support inward compression on the surface of the pane due to substrate weight bowing the pane (only really an issue if it’s on the bottom pane and the aquarium sits above its stand via an edging rim). This should help prevent the two sides of the scratch drawing closer together minimising shear stress on the other side to the scratch forming a crack which could possibly maybe cause the pane to completely give out.

Just silicone a square (or disk) of glass on it, if worried. My mate cracked the base of his tank, in one corner, due to putting it on a "collapsing" drawer unit. He siliconed a square of glass over cracked area, buried it in sand, would never know it was there. He had the tank for over 20 years in this state.

Just silicone a square (or disk) of glass on it, if worried. My mate cracked the base of his tank, in one corner, due to putting it on a "collapsing" drawer unit. He siliconed a square of glass over cracked area, buried it in sand, would never know it was there. He had the tank for over 20 years in this state.

Thanks all, i went ahead and filled it up, all good so far :)

Back