• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deep Tank Light Recommendations

mrmadium

Seedling
Hello!

I have a tank that I have inherited with my house. The measurements are 690mm from light face to the substrate (height), 50mm from face to top of water, 1065mm wide and 590mm deep.

I've been doing so much reading and I still have no idea! I'm erring more towards the Fluval 3.0 planted but with the level of complication that comes with the tech specs, I think I just need some help.

Cheers!

My 500l tank had same 50cm depth from water to substrate, its not just the light penetration of the light is also the flow/filter output you need to consider esp is planning CO2 and a carpet. It is hard to get PAR data on lights and a bit hit and miss, but going for a dimmable light would be my advice

My 500l tank had same 50cm depth from water to substrate, its not just the light penetration of the light is also the flow/filter output you need to consider esp is planning CO2 and a carpet. It is hard to get PAR data on lights and a bit hit and miss, but going for a dimmable light would be my advice
Thank you for your advice.

I've upgraded the filter after we first got the house. It's been doing great!

We are now looking to our next stage which is to learn more about planting and good plant health.

We can't even keep Anubias and Amazon Swords in good health at the moment!

Steep learning curve and the tank dimensions are proving difficult to get the right lighting. Doesn't help that it's built into the wall either!

FYI - I have several of the Fluval 3.0 Planted lights including two on a 75g tank, I find them to be substantially less powerful than my Twinstar lights.

27" height, 42" wide, 23" deep
Approx 100gal or 396L more or less..

You mention it's a built in but what kind of clearance do you have? i.e mounting height?
1065mm wide is a bit of an in-between size for many lights.
Oddly enough I found one 1000mm light. I'm not going to pass judgement on it atm and "China direct" isn't every-ones cup of tea.
BTW: shipping looks to be as much as the light itself, bit cheaper to the UK.. and I believe that is for the 1200mm light

Anyways hard to decide without a "budget", placement constraints, or what is available to you.

1628147002301.png

I have a tank that I have inherited with my house
Welcome to the group. Have you considered LED mini spotlights to give areas of illumination to specific sections of the substrate as opposed to every thing the same brightness. However CO2 and its distribution will be more critical than lighting.

for every inch you move away from the source, light gets spread over a larger surface so intensity drops. A smaller beam angle limits this effect, so spotlights are the way to go for tall tanks imo. Kessil makes very nice ones, of course they are not cheap.

I have a tank of similar depth.
For the first couple of years I had a pair of circa 36" T8 tubes. By anyone's standard it was low light and low tech. But it did ok.
Then I neglected the tank for a very long while.
About 6 months ago I put in a pair of Juwel length T5 tubes (I cant remember the power or length) from iQuatics, and with low light plants (not mid light plants) I've had god enough results.

Back