• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deficiency or uptake issue?

JoshP12

In the pictures below there are about 1 tiny hole per plant and bite marks/holes on the edges of others.

The only change I made was remineralized my water change water with potassium bicarbonate/calcium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate and added magnesium sulphate to it as well. In the past, I just used sodium bicarbonate and left the GH minerals out of the equation. Water up to 4dkh and 6ishdgh

The holes are all in older leaves which suggest a potassium deficiency, but as I mentioned I added about 40 ppm of potassium in my water change (which I hoped would tie me more than a few days) ... so I am thinking it may be too much magnesium and calcium that is affecting potassium uptake.

Any ideas: without doing anything too quickly, I may not remineralize the GH on the next water change.

As a final thought, my nitrates have gone down to around 10ish and I haven’t dosed it up: could this be nitrogen deficiency. Note is in crypts and I use root tabs.

Or are my fishies having a snack?!

Attachments

• 8F8CBDFA-883D-4024-8292-5833FABFFA7A.jpeg
    8F8CBDFA-883D-4024-8292-5833FABFFA7A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
  • 18E6B29E-0F30-4CA4-8B71-22AA9E72A4DC.jpeg
    18E6B29E-0F30-4CA4-8B71-22AA9E72A4DC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 192
  • 561B0C4A-B466-401D-92AA-21617650B747.jpeg
    561B0C4A-B466-401D-92AA-21617650B747.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • D425A9F8-7DD3-4DC2-A711-642E531EC0EE.jpeg
    D425A9F8-7DD3-4DC2-A711-642E531EC0EE.jpeg
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 170
  • E0465D8F-42A7-475A-A623-145C0A63D965.jpeg
    E0465D8F-42A7-475A-A623-145C0A63D965.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I can't see a problem tbh.
Has the plant adapted..or are those original leaves?

Btw
Snails will have a munch on tender new leaves.

Hi all,
I can't see a problem tbh.
They look pretty healthy to me as well.

I think the holes in the leaves on the Cryptocoryne may be mechanical damage, possibly just caused as the leaf has come up through the gravel. If you have (what we think) are potassium deficiencies the leaves have a pin-prick holes, you often see it in on Hygrophila pinnatifida.

hpin-pinholes-2.jpg

I'm not aware of any scientifically controlled experiments that have proved this, but I think @Zeus. may have more to add?

cheers Darrel

Hi @dw1305 and @john dory

Thanks, I guess with inexperience, I am being a bit overly cautious to be more proactive. I had never even considered mechanical damage from the growth ... but it makes a lot of sense (as I have another leaf with a weird crinkle that I had no idea why - likely this).

It looks like this holes are paired with yellowing either on the edges or around the hole itself.

Thanks friends.
Josh

Hygrophila pinnatifida my nemesis :arghh: ever since I started growing it compact Hygrophila pinnatifida pinching tops I have had the issue ie pinholes on old leaves which then melt Ive tried increasing the K levels and various forms of Fe and still I get it. I put it down to my hard water which am sure @ceg4048 would slap me down for if he was active :lol:.
upload_2019-12-14_17-25-36.png

Havent given up yet its a case of adjust something and wait a few months and time soon passes. When/if I find the sweat spot I will post about it OFC

... hope I can grow this plant, have to try at least. whould it be best to go for in vitro or a potted one?

sorry fof of topic, but Zeus, what plant is the darker green in the left bottom cornor of your picture? I really like it!

When was the tank set up?
Plant details? eg, pots, in vitro cups, eBay, Tropica (or similar named nursery), unnamed origin etc

I’m wondering if the growth pictured is new submerse growth or combination of emerse etc - original growth that plant has upon purchase will slowly (or less slowly) be replaced with new submerse leafs adapted to your aquarium environment

Some plants, such as cryptocorynes, bolbitis heudelotii, mosses, swords can be trimmed back quite severely upon planting ... or you can choose instead to gradually trim original leafs as they deteriorate

It’s the new growth that is a more accurate indicator of suitable aquarium conditions
(deterioration rate of old growth leafs seems to vary (sometimes dramatically) even when I’m convinced my new scape is much the same conditions of light/CO2/nutrients as my previous scape)

Hi all,
or you can choose instead to gradually trim original leafs as they deteriorate
This is what I do.

I work from the premise that green tissue is a net contributor to plant growth, and maximising its extent probably gives the plant the best hope of establishment. Once an older leaf starts yellowing it can come off, the plant is withdrawing the chlorophyll from it, to redistribute to newer leaves.

cheers Darrel

Back