• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Resolved! Deleting (or edit) an individual reply or entire conversation

Andrew Butler

Is there a way I can delete (or edit) an individual reply or entire conversation (PM) with someone.
I've written details and they would like them removed.
Thanks

You can PM and ask an administrator to do that... :) What you can not prevent for the time it is still published is a copy/paste from the receiver.

Admins do not have view of conversations unless you invite an admin into the conversation then we can edit the post!
You should be able to edit your own posts, but you cannot edit others in the conversation, however they should be able to edit their own!

I could have sworn there was not this option for me to edit the message I had sent when looking this morning - I'd been high and low, searching the XenForo information etc.

I've also not seen the option to delete converstaions in my inbox - what am I not seeing here?

Is there any truth in the statement below I was sent? - It does turn out they're someone who has not commented on my sales post.
"Hi Andrew,
Pms on this forum are open to others. Please delete the message you sent with my personal data!!!
Many thanks"

Pms on this forum are open to others. Please delete the message you sent with my personal data!!!
Not sure where they got this from. Can we have some evidence of this?

Thanks Paulo
I'd no idea either but I will see if I can get an answer, by no means am I trying to offend the person in question.
Well if there is a bug somewhere is good that it is made aware to us, so we can investigate :)
I did test an addon previously to search conversations and that had a bug in it (you actually made me aware of it), but that is long gone.

I just tried and it works, just click edit bellow your previous post in a PM, then Ctrl+a then Backspace to delete... Then write Edited or whatever and save...

See for example my answer to your PM you did send me January 2nd this year...

I've also not seen the option to delete converstaions in my inbox - what am I not seeing here?
There is no delete option, just leave the conversation, once all members have left it, it will self-destruct!

I did test an addon previously to search conversations and that had a bug in it (you actually made me aware of it), but that is long gone.
:lol: I wasn't going to mention that bit.

I now have the option to edit, no idea why I couldn't see it this morning - strange. The issue is resolved now though.
I've sorted it now @zozo but thanks, maybe refreshing cookies etc did something.

I now have the option to edit, no idea why I couldn't see it this morning - strange.
I had a quick change to the permissions, once you reach the 25 post to become a "full member" you are able to edit your own conversations too!

Would this have meant that I couldn't see the edit option in my conversation for any reason in the early hours?
Yes you can only see it now, makes sense to enable this since we already do it on own posts too!

Many thanks"

I guess some people are a bit paranoid, maybe for a good reason, it will not be the first time a forum gets hacked by some script kiddy. Not so long ago I got a PM from an admin at another rather popular forum with the request to change my password because they had a leak and some hacked accounts...

In theory, it can happen to everybody everywhere... In most cases it the member themselves that are unintentionally careless with their password... As often happens at Facebook, you get a message with a link, then click and you get redirected to a fake website with the question to log in to see the picture or whatever... If you fall for that you give your password away instead. Then the account is hacked and the community gets the blame...

I guess some people are a bit paranoid,
The forum supports multi-factor authentication, in this day and age you should have MFA enabled on all your accounts ;)

I've noticed posts on peoples profiles, almost like Facebook wall used to be, that everyone can see. These are there when you look at the members stats, location etc. But this is different to direct messages. Maybe that's where the confusion lies?

I've noticed posts on peoples profiles
Yes profile posts are visible to everyone, so do not post sensitive information there, treat them like any other post in the forum.
You can control what is displayed to other members on your profile, you can edit the settings and make it visible just to members or hide them if you like!

Back