• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dennerle Scaper's Tank 55L: how many German rams?

Sergey

Hi guys,

I've recently redone my Dennerle Scaper's 55L and I think I'd like to see some German rams there. How many should I put in? There' also be a small school of 6 x-ray tetras, but no other fish I guess.

Agreed 2 maximum maybe best with 1 to be honest as I've found they do best when the aggression of one is shared amongst a few in a much larger tank.

Well, having just one in the tank s a bit frustrating :/ I guess I'll hold the idea of keeping rams until I get a bigger tank.

What would be the proper tank size to keep, say, 2 pairs?

As with any dwarf cichlid, tank footprint really impacts the number that can be accommodated

A single ram could look stunning in that Dennerle 55, unfortunately 2 rams seldom live in harmony for any length of time though it’s not unprecedented

Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres
acted as a temporary home to a bonded pair of visiting rams that proceeded to spawn while there :)
Both fish look to be thriving

If you find a shop with a group of young rams and spot a pair that are “in the family way”, purchase those two and harmony may hold, just monitor to ensure that both fish remain active and eating ... it’s easy to miss the scuffle that breaks the partnership, instead you’ll just see one fish less frequently (if tank is heavily planted) with dimmed colors
If one fish become less active, and no longer rushes out for food, then it’s time to intervene (perfect excuse for that second tank ;))

Several months back I brought home a group of 7 non-thriving electric blue rams from a local shop, though tank is only 60cm x 45cm (53cm high), they’ve settled in well and finally began growing
I did lose the smallest, and oddly, they always appear as a group of 4-5 with one “loner”
I don’t expect they’ll ever spawn (looks like there may be 2 females in the group though with “electric blue” it’s difficult to distinguish a submissive male vs female) as they were stunted for so long, but they’re pretty fish and entertaining to watch
(they did decide on Shrimp Hunting as an interesting group activity :( )

Thanks guys for your replies, very appreciated. As I understand, the case with German rams is that even if I manage to get a couple, it's a matter of chance that they can live peacefully together. I'm not sure if I'm willing to take the risk, esp. that I don't have a backup plan if things go bad between them.

Is it ok to keep only a single fish, won't it get depressed and lonely?

Choose a dominant male ram and he will enjoy his kingdom ;)

I find females somewhat trickier: as I always have another tank, I generally move the most submissive ram from any group (often a female) - most of these happily settle in, occasionally one will settle into even more of a funk, appearing much happier when returned to the original ram group tank (& usually returning to bottom position in the hierarchy)

Back