• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

depth of planting

deadlus3d

hi if i have set up my new tank with 1 to 2cm aquatic compost and then sand.
i'd like to know if i need to bury the plants roots right through the
compost or will the roots find their way to the compost?

many thanks

I found TNC complete to work well at the advised dose. They beauty of it is that as plant biomass increases, you can increase the dose comfortably. They advise 3x dose for EI, but it’s still a bit lean, and Aquarium Gardens suggest 6x weekly dose for EI level ferts.

i'd like to know if i need to bury the plants roots right through the
compost or will the roots find their way to the compost?
Roots are thought to grow downward in response to gravity, it's a phenomenon known as positive geotropism.
If the capping substrate is around a cm or so and the plants are in good health the roots should reach the soil fairly quickly.
But fertz dosing is a good idea too, just to make sure.

hi josh what fertilizer wpuld you suggest if i wanted to dose weekly?

Sorry for the delayed response -- if you put @ in front of the name, you can tag someone -- in any case, you can go down lots of routes!

When I first started, I used seachem ferts (I bought a few bottles), then I realized that these are all salts diluted with water and almost lost my mind. So I just buy the salts and mix my own ferts. Here is an article on dry salts: https://www.ukaps.org/forum/pages/dosing-with-dry-salts/

EI is a good starting point for water column fertilization and then from there you can tone it down, or up, or leave it be.

I just didn't want to spend lots of money on fertilization.

Just a few moments ago I posted this: https://www.ukaps.org/forum/pages/dosing-with-dry-salts/ ... on that thread I linked lots of great videos on ferts.

Josh

Back