• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deserted island journal

ghostsword

I have seen a photo online by a designer called Frederico Felix
(http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs37/f/2008/ ... oFelix.png)

Desert_Island_by_FredericoFelix.png

I am trying to replicate the pic on a tank, so I have requested a quotation for this:
4792395457_d7205c8604.jpg

A London acrylic tank builder should get back to me with a price, and I will use a metal workshop to make a metal cabinet stand for it.

I have got the bonsai sorted out, will use Bald Cypress or a Juniper, will get them small.

For the rock I am getting a fake rock, invert it, and cut the base, so that I have a cup to house the bonsai and some seiryu stone.

I will tie Java Fern and Anubias to the fake rock, and make a tripod of mopani wood to rest the rock on. Will have to visit TGM, as they are the only shop I know that has a massive amount of wood on display, I am bound to find what I need there.

For light, I will use a pendant of vapour light, Arcadia 3, cheap and cheerful, and CO2 will be a JBL presurised can.

I am thinking of getting just plain sand for substrate, and to plant a mix oc tenellus, lileaopsis and Marsilea Hirsuta.

For fish I will just have Neons, Kuhli Loaches, and C. schultzei.

Re: Desert island journal

Flyfisherman said:
Luis

i thought you would be gone for a tall or deep tank - something like an aqua 620T http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FISH-TANK-130L-AQ ... 27b3673ff7. Just a thought.

Regards
Paul.

sanj said:
Just wondering would it not look better in a big cubeish shape? I was just thinkng that the different dimensions in the hood could detract from the scape even if it is in acrylic. Just a thought...

I would like to have the front open, so that we can see the bonsai...

Something like this, from Filipe Oliveira @ Interzoo:
ELOS_Interzoo2010_14.jpg

I saw that whilst there, it was one of my favorites.

Good luck with this clever idea, i'll be watching eagerly as it's something i've been considering myself.

Luis

Arh now I see where you are coming from - evaporation might be an issue - hope you have plenty of water on tap :lol: .

Regards
Paul.

Flyfisherman said:
Luis

Arh now I see where you are coming from - evaporation might be an issue - hope you have plenty of water on tap :lol: .

Regards
Paul.

I currently have a open top tank, and evaporation is slightly higher than normal, but nothing that we cannot manage. Using EI I do two WC of 70% in total, so just as well that I am not on metered water contract and I don't have fancy fish.

Dan Crawford said:
I saw that whilst there, it was one of my favorites.

Good luck with this clever idea, i'll be watching eagerly as it's something i've been considering myself.

Thanks Dan, since I saw that photo that I wanted to do something like that, but the desert island was what it tipped the scale. It will look cool, if I can get it out of paper and into my living room.

Light is the only issue that needs to be worked on, maybe a ceiling spot, or clip on halogen lights.

I looked into creating a similar palludarium type thing with a bonsai oak so that the dead leaves would fall into the water creating an ideal environment for shrimp. What stopped me was finding a tree species that would be OK inside a house with central heating as its meant to destroy their perception of seasons. I'm guessing that both juniper and bald cypress fit the bill though? Were you going for a 'formal' bonsai on just something that looked cool?

Hi Luis,i have always had an interest in bonzai trees,if i am correct you can get trees like the ones in the photo what Dan saw at interzoo,this will be some challenge for you but if you pull it off it will be very nice indeed,

god luck with it,
regards,
john.

I agree it will be a challenge.
I suspect that is part of the appeal to Luis ;)
Luis already has proven his skills at growing aquatic and emersed plants so if anyone can pull it off he can :)

a1Matt said:
I agree it will be a challenge.
I suspect that is part of the appeal to Luis ;)
Luis already has proven his skills at growing aquatic and emersed plants so if anyone can pull it off he can :)

Thanks Matt.. Growing plants is easy.. scaping is hard.. hence why this appeals to me. Rock, bonsai, carpet.. :)

john starkey said:
Hi Luis,i have always had an interest in bonzai trees,if i am correct you can get trees like the ones in the photo what Dan saw at interzoo,this will be some challenge for you but if you pull it off it will be very nice indeed,

god luck with it,
regards,
john.

The Bonsai on the photo look Ficus trees, I may be wrong, and they actually do very well inside the home, with some low light.

The tank may have a 150W or 200W light, so that should be enough. It will also get natural light, although no sunlight.

NeilW said:
I looked into creating a similar palludarium type thing with a bonsai oak so that the dead leaves would fall into the water creating an ideal environment for shrimp. What stopped me was finding a tree species that would be OK inside a house with central heating as its meant to destroy their perception of seasons. I'm guessing that both juniper and bald cypress fit the bill though? Were you going for a 'formal' bonsai on just something that looked cool?

I just purchased a starter Juniper on ebay for £11 including delivery, and I am bidding on a Bald Cypress tree. I will first try them on the fake rock, the Juniper will remain potted, and the Bald Cypress will be with the roots wet. They will have moss on top, or hairgrass on the wet areas.

This will be a very funny project.

Do you know any one that can me stainless steel tripods?

Yep, ficus are pretty hardy and sold as general houseplants.

There are plenty of bonsai shops out there and I imagine they would be able to advise you. This is one nearish to me: http://lvbonsai.co.uk/

They do workshops which you might be interested in attending.

I got my akadama from them, really nice people, they are interested in fishkeeping (they used to have a 6 ft x 6ft discus tank!!!), so I imagine would be happy to go over your plan with you and advise you on the bonsai aspect.

Hi

This is a bit like the project that I am working on and it has been really fun. I am growing Ficus Benghalensis AKA Banyan from seed, on a piece of wood sticking out of the tank. The reason I chose Banyan is because the root structure is so interesting. The roots wrap around the host species, in this case the dead wood, using it as a trunk and eventually completely enveloping it. Although that stage is still many moons away, it has been fascinating watching the little filamentous roots creating a lattice around the trunk and dipping in to the water, where they seem to grow essentially as hydroponically cultivated plants in the very well fertilised water of a planted tank.

I have tried to grow Banyan before with no success and this time I split the seeds between the tank and a propagator. The propagator seeds grew but as soon as I took them out in to the dry air of the kitchen they gave up the ghost. Even though it is an open tank, the aquarium's humid micro climate allows you to grow plants that would not otherwise grow indoors. The ones in the tank look really happy and the root structure is coming on very well. But I digress.

I really like the sound of your project and will watch it with interest.

Good luck.

R

ghostsword said:
I would like to have the front open, so that we can see the bonsai...

Something like this, from Filipe Oliveira @ Interzoo:
ELOS_Interzoo2010_14.jpg

Ah I see!

You could even just use a shallow tank, not sure why the glass height needs to increase to the back?

I am not looking for such a large land mass as the one from Filipe Oliveira, more like a 20cm diameter rock, on a 70cm long tank, slightly to the left.

The long back I want is to hide the pipes and support the light high above the plant. On the back strip will be led's.

A shallow tank would be also good, a Waki Kusa project, but with Bonsai.

I wouldn't mind trying the Banyan tree as well.

I have joined a Bonsai Forum and will take a couple of courses, one in August, so that I learn more about Bonsai.

Great project.

Good Luck !

Best Regards,

Back