• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Desert's Edge

I have some scum, I don't have algae? I have seen perfect tanks with scum, but no algae.

Ian Holdich said:
I have some scum, I don't have algae? I have seen perfect tanks with scum, but no algae.

You don't get much more perfect that a certain expert's tanks on here, and even HE has scum with no algae at times. So you are right from that angle Ian. However, I also think that if you DO have algae it is likely to contribute or add to the amount of scum no ? I am sure I have noticed in my tanks that when I get algal outbreaks the scum levels get worsen. So I personally believe that scum is an indication of imbalance at some level. And thats hardly surprising. Very few of even the best tanks could be considered a perfect natural balance. Does that sound right, or am I barking up the wrong tree ? :shh: I could be rambling mindlessly for all I know since I have flu and a temperature :rolleyes: .

Ian Holdich said:

Yup scum is for different reasons. Also many types there (oil, biofilm, foam etc). You may not have algae issue, but your filter is dirty, you put stress on your plant for some reason, using bad fish food etc. Million other reason is possible too.

But very frequent to see the scum where you see algae.

I'm not sure about that victor tbh, my filter gets a thorough clean monthly, never a drop in flow.

I still believe its the starch compounds due to the c02.

jojouk said:
Really nice :)

Ta :thumbup:

Re: scum/algae, I think it is easy to confuse cause and effect here. My opinion is that both are the symptoms of poor plant health. The algae doesn't contribute to the scum, it just appears at the same time. I think the reason it appears more often in a high tech tank isn't directly due to co2. It is because everything, including growth and plant breakdown, is accelerated in these tanks so if the plants aren't healthy they'll leach faster than in a low tech tank. Hence more film.

Whilst there are no doubt other causes of the scum/film, I still think the primary cause is non-optimal plant health. I think this can still happen in tanks that look otherwise quite healthy (e.g. Mark's).

In a high tech tank I suspect 9 times out of 10 this is down to a co2 issue. Given that the sense I've got from reading Clive and others is that the timing of co2 levels is just as important as the overall level of co2. Hence this notion of it being at optimum levels at lights on.

Thinking about this issue of plants being adapted to certain photoperiods, with a slow increase of light in the morning and a slow decrease in the evening, suddenly max co2 at lights on makes no sense to me. If plants wake up gradually (triggered by some light) and go to sleep gradually (triggered by how long they've been awake) surely they don't need optimum co2 at lights on? They won't need optimum co2 until they've woken up right? So I should stop stressing about ph readings at lights on and not turn the co2 on more than 3 hours before lights on?

One thing for sure, you should stop stressing about pH readings. Clive has said time and again that its irrelevant in terms of plantcare. But all this talk about "optimum CO2 level timing" makes me wonder if we are all better off running gas longer, if not 24/7, albeit at an adjusted rate.

I am a complete newb to all this, and Im getting a pressurised setup very soon, and I am wondering about how long to have the CO2 on for, some have said all the time, but then some have said an hour before lights on and an hour after, but surely that will create pH swings? Is it not the idea to get a constant level of CO2 in the tank thus avoiding algae issues? Or does that just apply to the period when the plant is photosynthesising?

(sorry to jummp in this thread lol!)

To the period that the plants are photosynthesising but Chris makes an interesting point. I have considered going to 24/7. Used to do this in my smallest tank and it did really well. In larger tanks this becomes extremely expensive. Although I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of PH readings Chris. I couldn't care less about PH. I'm only interested in it because it's the easiest way to record changes in co2 concentration (not overall co2 concentration mind).

Anyway quick photo update as promised:

8282450104_1930dfe200.jpg
17-12-12_1 by hotweldfire, on Flickr
8281394073_e1c850eecc.jpg
17-12-12_2 by hotweldfire, on Flickr
8281391737_990f6e7fa6.jpg
17-12-12_4 by hotweldfire, on Flickr
8281392927_e915f56ace.jpg
17-12-12_3 by hotweldfire, on Flickr
8282445768_84375db459.jpg
17-12-12_5 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Hey Sajid, yeah I did mate, I didn't cotton on to that being the reason. The pics are awesome buddy, it looks SOO healthy. I may need to buy some blyxa after Christmas ;)

Back