• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Desert's Edge

Re: An inconvenient space

really like the wood you have there will look ace planted up.

Thanks mate :D

Getting close to the big rescape which will almost certainly have to be this weekend. Going to take two days I reckon.

In the meantime I have decided to go inline for co2. In an attempt to save money have gone for a Waterplant reactor number. You plug it into your outflow pipe and connect the co2 and it chops the bubbles up tiny. Works really well, only thing is mine has developed a leak. Only a tiny tiny bit (more of weep than a leak) so will silicone it up and should be sound.

Problem is I've also installed the eheim installation sets and because of the awkward tank rim can only have the outlet an inch above the water level or well below it. Naturally have gone for the latter and have ended up with really really thick surface film again. Currently running an airstone tonight to break it up.

Defeats the purpose of the co2 but I lost an ember tetra today. Could easily be the higher dissolved co2 content but the DC is mid green and I'm only running about a bubble and a half a second. Am worried it's bugger all oxygen in the water.

Also received some uber expensive plants in the post today:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16899&p=174197#p174197

Have a look and see if you can guess.

Well, the first of the three manzi pieces is in. Second two tomorrow, will post pics then. Blimey that was hard work. Have tied/glued anubias nana, tiny bit of nana petite, needle leaf java fern and microfern/mini-Taiwan moss (courtesy of Living Waters) on it. Very taken with the microfern moss. Think I'll use it predominantly on the rest of the wood with just some fissidens and mini-xmas.

Less happily lost at least three fish today - 1 neon goby and 2 sundadanio axelrodi. Dunno what's going on. They just look weak and float around and then die. DC is showing low co2 so don't think it's the new diffuser (which has stopped leaking by the way without silicone added). Have moved the filter outlet up to water surface which is breaking up the film and adding o2. Screwing around with the substrate in order to bury that manzi will not help. Hopefully won't wake up to an aquatic graveyard tomorrow.

ghostsword said:
Yep, messing on the substrate, and then increased co2 can be a mess.

A gas bubble on the susbtrate would be all you need to kill some fish.

Yep, 'cept the deaths started before messing with the substrate. Has to be something do with the new diffuser and/or eheim installation kit. Only thing I can surmise is oxygen.

Anyways here's the first piece in . Can't get decent shots during the day because of the reflections. Working on the second piece now.

247111.jpg

247112.jpg

Couldn't get the original orientation I wanted on it because even with serious messing in the substrate it was too tall. Had to tip it forward as a result. Still needs to lean a bit more towards the front and twist round to the right. Anubias are a bit dominating right now but will see how they look once some stuff has filled in around.

Also still concerned with how high the top branch is. Looking like I'm going to get some emersed growth from the microfern moss assuming it doesn't get destroyed by thread algae.

Right, here's where I'm at. All three pieces in and planted up. Sundandanios dropping like flies. Embers, cats, and shrimp all seem fine. Cloudy pics, I'm afraid, due to all the B&Q play sand I dumped in the back to build up the lack of slope.

267117.jpg

Left side of tank still needs scaping.

267119.jpg

Rockwork was a challenge

267118.jpg

Thanks both. Actually had to leave out the best bit of dragonstone I had as it just didn't work. Will attempt to finish planting tomorrow and get some more pics up.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Mate, have just looked at the date on my last post :oops: Shocking slackness on my part. TBH the main reason is I can't get a decent shot of the tank. First and foremost I need to go to DSLR school. Secondly the lighting ain't ideal. While the t6s I'm running are doing the plants plenty of good they make the tank look a bit bleak, especially in photos:

2310115.jpg

2310117.jpg

2310116.jpg

2310118.jpg

And the tank lights replaced by an anglepoise during water change:

2310114.jpg

As you will no doubt notice the plants are doing ok but the hardscape, especially the rock, is suffering. Especially from BBA. Aggressive course of excel currently ongoing.

Tips on better photography results very welcome.

Hello all,

Long time no update so thought I should give you a few pics.

Firstly, though, woop! One of my surviving blue pearls is berried (no pic I'm afraid). Have added some red nosed and some more blue pearl too. Looks like the shrimp genocide is over.

I also added a second koralia (nano) to back right hand bottom corner of tank under the filter outlet. Amazingly in about a week the BBA which was infesting the tank was gone. Completely. I guess Clive was right. :lol: The H. pinnatifida which I'd always struggled to grow in this tank started to take off. Funnily enough it was just in front of the new koralia. Looks a bit yellow in this pic but that's just the light shining through it. Doing quite well.

6801127876_0130f262b1.jpg
2012-2-2_20.48.35 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Also doing well however is hair algae and cladaphora.

So I'm going to spout some heresy now. I don't mind getting shot down for it because I don't really believe what I'm saying. But want to say it anyway.

Plants are doing really well in this tank. The only thing struggling is some P. helferi and a part of the HC. Both of these happen to be in a bit of the tank that is being overshadowed by ferns and moss so I think that's a light issue.

At the same time I have hair algae growing on seemingly flourishing plants and cladaphora on hardscape. BBA has made a brief comeback but that's very recent and I know the cause - fluctuation from my co2 reg. The other algae has been flourishing alongside the plants for months now.

Healthy plants
Needle leaf
6801125366_8d8f41449e.jpg
2012-2-2_20.47.44 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

E. vivipara (which has grown in even more in the week since this photo was taken)
6801145264_8f9122a5c6.jpg
2012-2-2_20.56.48 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

What used to be an HC carpet
6864763911_28e821ff98.jpg
Carpet2 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

is now primarily an Elatine hydropiper carpet as the latter has taken over
6801134222_08c62fa51e.jpg
2012-2-2_20.51.29 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Total blyxa jungle, looking golden in places and sending out what looks like flower pods ( :? )
6801123996_9d19f09dda.jpg
2012-2-2_20.47.6 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Also some Ranunculus growing in there
6801140888_f529112a51.jpg
2012-2-2_20.54.52 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Healthy algae
Here's the carpet from another angle. Hopefully you should be able to see the hair algae growing out of it
6801134238_1a90c367cb.jpg
2012-2-2_20.51.39 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

The same stuff on some crazily fast growing mini xmas moss (don't worry Phil, what I'm sending you isn't infested like this :lol: )
6947241173_a72ff6e81f.jpg
2012-2-2_20.51.20 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Cladophora and BBA in amongst the blyxa (and a red nosed shrimp trying to deal with it, bless him)
6801132198_e8cc51fb42.jpg
2012-2-2_20.50.54 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Again (fissidens is particularly affected by the hair algae)
6947248575_aa2d0fab78.jpg
2012-2-2_20.55.7 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

And on the dragon stone
6947242095_777371f862.jpg
2012-2-2_20.52.12 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Here's a FTS. Rather old one now as the vivipara is right across the back wall and most of the mini xmas has been pulled out and transferred to my new nano. Only thing stopping the hydropiper crawling all around the front are those moss meshes (although it did manage to grow under one and pop up the other side :wideyed: ). Blyxa is also more rampant than in this photo.
6864792513_6eed41cba4.jpg
MainFeb4 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Don't pay too much attention to the colour of the DC, this was taken on maintenance day so always a bit all over the shop.

Basically I have both plants and algae pearling happily away in complete harmony an hour or two after lights on.

So I am hereby challenging the orthodoxy. Namely the well established theory that if you create optimal growing conditions for your plants (injected co2, good flow, EI ferts) then they will out compete the algae in your tank. Not in my bloody tank.

Seriously, I am stumped. The only thing I can think of is waste. I.e. the tank is overstocked (which it probably is) and there is low level ammonia that the algae is using up faster than the plants. In fact isn't it the case that higher plants will prefer to use the nitrate we add as ferts to the ammonia created by fish waste? I am using purigen in the filter though and do clean it regularly.

hotweldfire said:
So no one wants to burn me for being a witch? How disappointing.
How long are your lights on for?

Also, what is the flow like in the places that have algae?

6hr photoperiod. I do think the lights (T6s) are a bit strong which is why I reduced to 6 hrs a few months ago. Flow is good everywhere, including algae areas. Have two koralias as well as filter running in a 125l so bit like a washing machine in there.

Things much better now but not algae free. Hard to say what's driven the improvement. I have

- been using purigen and cleaning filter every month
- swapped my inline reactor for a up inline diffuser
- swapped my old reg for a lunapet one
- got more shrimp in
- pulled the mini xmas moss (which was a serious hair algae magnet) out

As I said, still not perfect. One thing I have noticed is that my frogbit isn't looking too happy in this tank. Which suggests a nutrient deficiency. Am upping the ferts as a result.

Will try to get some pics up tonight.

Pics as promised

6997048218_d92eb4e820.jpg
005 (3) by hotweldfire, on Flickr

You will note the mini rescape on the left hand side.

6997047250_d2dabae392.jpg
013 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Not too chuffed with it. Was done in a hurry and looks like a rockery or something. Like I let my mum rescape my tank o_O Ah well. Bottom line is this tank is a bit too small for what I'm trying to do. Think I need to keep things simpler.

As evidenced by the vivipara which needs quite a lot of maintenance to stop it getting tangled up in the hardscape and H. pinnatifida

7092985923_116d8f3deb.jpg
2012-3-19_11.7.1 by hotweldfire, on Flickr
6997052008_d71e207438.jpg
014 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Hydropiper carpet keeps on going though. Need to trim (which I've never done) and replant across the whole of the front of the tank. It has totally overgrown my HC which is gone bar a wee bit replanted in the back left which is struggling.

6997046788_0021e4978c.jpg
010 (2) by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Am using C. parva on the right (darker area) and erio cinerum on the left (which you can see in the second pic) as highlights in the carpet. The latter has struggled with a lot of melt but some of the plants are growing back in.

Needle leaf still doing well

7143138321_b8ffce5ef4.jpg
020 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

and I like what the ranunculus is doing tucked in behind my hardscape and in front of the blyxa

6997051452_9fb643520b.jpg
019 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

Like little palm trees.

Erm, can't finish updating as flickr seems to have gone down. Will post a couple more photos when it's back up.

Fissidens still needs trimming

7143136549_b86eff9077.jpg
026 by hotweldfire, on Flickr

This is the area that needs most work still

7143137385_24eefb11c7.jpg
023 (2) by hotweldfire, on Flickr

On the right hand side and heavily overshadowed. The surrounding manzi creates a kind of frame. A window if you like into a shadier bit of the tank further back. I think some mosses and ferns growing back there will look very good. Got some mini bolbitis, crep and giant willow moss. Also some mini windelov growing just in front of that space with some anubias nana petite.

Other thing to do is to attach coral pelia and mini fissidens to the manzi.

Thanks mate. Blyxa has come up trumps. Creates a dense jungle like foliage as a background. Vivipara would work really well if I had more depth (only 35cm deep this tank) and could keep it separate from the other plants and hardscape.

Back