• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

desk lamp recommendations?

bumcrumb

hi all
i have just purchase a opti white tank 12x10x8 inches in size, and I'm looking for a nice looking light for it, mainly for growing hc.
i didn't want a clip on light for this tank as it limits me with the fill of water to the top as i wanted it as neat and slick as possible.
are there any desk lamps out there or mods or even anyone selling one?
all ideas are welcome!!
cheers all

post pics soon as Ive sorted out the siliconing! :(

here are a few lamp i have found around but cant see in the uk.
do you know any like thing like this for sale here ??

panasonic.jpg

fluorescent-lamp3.png

31fmMKLeWxL__SS500_.jpg

cheers guys!! :D

A lot of the lights you show tend to have rows of LEDs which in my experience are kind of weak for planted tanks. There are plenty of halogen desk lamps, I think you would need at least two. They also make a lot of heat and light is kind of yellow but plants grow well enough.

The Wave Solaris/Dennerle Nano/Superfish (I think they're all made in the same factory) lights are very neat and effective (what I use on my nano).

My brothers tank is pretty much the same as yours, the light is not very intrusive. The heater and HOB filter are another matter.... http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9244

hi TBRO
i have seen theses a few times and they are mentioned quite a bit around the place so they must be ok, plus the tank in the pics on your link looks very smart.
the 3 lights i posted on my post are actually all fluorescent tubes the second pic is also one but the pic quality is a little jaggy.
i typed in fluorescent desk lamps to see what was available and they came up but only in the us.
do you think the wave Solaris 18w is good enough to grow high light plants like hc?
cheers again mate
chris :thumbup:

My brother is growing HC in his tank, I'll ask him to post an update. HC mostly needs lots of flow, CO2 (liquid or gas) and soft water. Light levels are not so important (although 18 w should be fine in tha sized tank)

yeah a few people have mentioned that now about flow and co2/fertz is more important than the light.
Ive decided to buy the wave Solaris 18w even though i didn't want a clip on but i must say that this is a smart looking light though.
would you know much about getting the right flow? should i put both my intake and outtake pipes next to each other or opposite sides?
how else can i get excellent flow?
and finally, lol, have you used pro fito for fertz before?
cheers mate
chris ;)

Yeah, there's a lot of chat out there about growing HC !

What worked for me is soft water pH 6.0 no kH, moderate lighting good flow and pressurised CO2, I used ADA amazonia substrate and TPN ferts. People succeed with Easycarbo or Flourish XL as well. If you've got an external on a tank that size flow will be fine no matter where you point the pipes. Sorry can't comment on that brand of ferts....

Post us some pics when it's up, T

Back