• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Detritus Worms or Planaria?

Courtneybst

Hey guys,

I've recently spotted some bugs in my shrimp tank most of which are harmless. However, this worm-like one I'm not sure of.

I've whittled down that it could be detritus worms or planaria. They're so tiny so they look the same to me.

Any help appreciated.

863096C2-62E8-4C3E-93D5-9ADB22AF110E.jpeg

Planaria have a triangular shaped head and 2 eye spots.

Detritus worms are thinner and usually in the substrate (but also found in the water column and on the glass)

Could it be a rhabdocoela worm?

Planaria have a triangular shaped head and 2 eye spots.

Detritus worms are thinner and usually in the substrate (but also found in the water column and on the glass)

Could it be a rhabdocoela worm?
Hey Nick,

I wasn't sure if you were supposed to be able to see the eyes with your eyes only or with a microscope.

These are on the glass, in the top layer of the substrate and I've seen some on the rocks too.

Hey Nick,

I wasn't sure if you were supposed to be able to see the eyes with your eyes only or with a microscope.

These are on the glass, in the top layer of the substrate and I've seen some on the rocks too.

You may need a magnifying glass but the eyes are visible. The head shape is usually enough to confirm planaria.

Hey Nick,

Try sucking one or two up with a pipette and put them in a smooth/round bottomed drinking glass, it makes them easier to see as the glass tends to magnify them.

As said planeria have a triangle shaped head and glide along the glass, i had somr and where quite thick, treated tank and seen none since.

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Oh sorry I didn't update the thread.

These things do glide along the glass and hardscape but after observation I'm fairly confident they aren't Planaria. It appears I do have detritus worms in addition to this but their numbers have been dwindling after a lot of substrate vacuuming and I haven't fed the tank much.

So far no damage has been done so I'm not worried at this point. Will update if things change.

Back