• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Detrius buildup in a tank

Aeropars

Hi Guys,

I've just uprooted all my plants to give the tank an overhaul and i was disturbed to find masses of fish poo and detrius amongst the bases of my stems behind my wood ect.

How do you guys stop this buildup? I have been having ongoing green spot and/or green dust algae and this cant have been helping.

Any help apreciated.

Aeropars said:
Blimey, thats got to be some serious circulation then?
Thats why we recommend minimum filtration to be rated at 10X on a planted tank, some users have 20X and at one time I had 32X on my tank lol

Yep, I have 21x turnover in my 125l

I've got the same problem, mine is 12x turnover but i still have problems with detritus. Don't really want to go any larger as dont have space so i just make sure and pick up as much as possible each water change.

aldo_01 said:
I've got the same problem, mine is 12x turnover but i still have problems with detritus. Don't really want to go any larger as dont have space so i just make sure and pick up as much as possible each water change.
Don't really need more filtration, you can just get a pump for circulation ;)

As others have suggested, aim for at least 10x turnover as far as filtration is concerned but the more the merrier really - no need for over about 20x though, especially in smaller tanks. In bigger tanks it might be more of a problem so obviously use more flow from two or more filters.

Also, sometimes it's not how much flow you have but rather how it's distributed around the water column. Take that into consideration too - there should be little to no dead spots.

Back