DFS

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Chit-Chat' started by bugs, 10 Jun 2008.

1. bugs

bugs Member

If I'm looking for quality I head for John Lewis...

However, I'm in the market for a couple of leather sofas and can't quite bring myself to ignore the silly cheap prices at DFS (I could get two for less than the price of the one of the ones I'm looking at in JL). I vaguely recall hearing horror stories with DFS but just wondered if anyone has any experience? Quality or product and service/reliability?

Cheers

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

Cheap and cheerful with a short life expectancy. I only learnt recently that their sale products are cheapo products especially made for the sales.

Unless you're strapped for cash go to John Lewis or another respectable store and buy a decent one as it will last years longer.

James

3. Superman

Superman Member

I've not had a problem with my DFS purchase.

Top tip: ask for Saturday delivery when u buy if you want it. It should be free!

They only did give 2 days for delivery when it came into the warehouse but luckily my mother works for their IT firm and so arranged for a day that suited.

4. bugs

bugs Member

That's what I expected - in particular your 2nd point...

I've never used them, nor do I know anyone who has, hence the question. Makes it ever more difficult when I'm more than familiar with JL product quality.

5. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

DFS ARE CRAP!!! Our sofa has been tearing and falling to bits since the start.

6. Superman

Superman Member

I must of been lucky then?!

But then I've got a big leather 3 seaters and a footstool and it wasn't "cheap" at all. Although, I think their proper "sale cheap" did look a bit iffy.

In addition, there's only me in the house so I don't have kids/pets jumping all over it and so I have taken care with it - as I'm still paying for it!

I'm sure they're better quality furniture places out there but for the style and price I'm a happy bunny.

That totally differs from my view of MFI, who were a right pain in the...

7. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Have a look in IKEA! Got mine there, prices are good and the quality is not bad! I am happy with it ;)

8. johnny70

johnny70 Member

we have 2 sofa's and a huge chair from DFS, couple of small problems, but all were sorted quickly

for the money we paid not bad, JL would have been 3x the price, are they really 3x the quality? I doubt it

JOHNNY

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

SCS are good, are settee is very comfy :D

10. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

How about Furniture Village, bought both my settees from there, and the ones prior too. All of excellent construction.

11. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

How about someone else's 1 year old quality sofa/suite off ebay and then get one of the couriers that also advertise on there to collect it. Money saving there.

Or do what I did and get it second hand for free off dondumpthat which is a local recycling site for not wanted items. There is also freecycle as well.

Andy

12. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

I can also recommedn IKEA. Just bough 2 sofas off them last week for the new house, only cheap but very comfy and feel reasonably good quality

13. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Just had an IKEA sofa arrive today. Leather and very nice. Looks very solid and well put together, so far...