• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diary of a Rather Large Tank

jayne

Some of you may have read my previous threads about my new large tank.

I thought I'd do a diary,so you can follow me step by step into the unknown :)

Everything started last autumn,when we decided we would definitely go ahead,the radiator was taken off the wall,the floorbaords taken up and the floor strengthened.The radiator was replaced by a slimline vertical one on a different wall,and we contacted Phil,who is a cabinetmaker and a friend and he started to look around for suitable wood and the design started to take place.

Christmas 2007 came and went and finally Phil and a load of wood plus three tubular steel strengthening bars arrived.The cabinet was made and installed on site as it was too wide to get through the door.

bigtank009.jpg

bigtank016.jpg

bigtank019.jpg

As you can see there is no middle strengthening support in the cabinet,hence the three steel bars across the top.This was designed like this for two reasons.One to make installing the sump easier and two because we want the door to open completely concertina style for ease of maintenance.The doors will be added after the sump is in place.

I should just say here that Phil has used this design on other fish tank cabinets he has made and it has worked before.

Two days later the fish tank base was put in position this was a double 12mm siliconed together and after 48 hours to allow the base to dry,and the main tank body was installed,by my hubby and one of his workmates.I love to watch men working so I stood around taking photos and making tea :lol:

Again i should point out that my husband Billy makes and installs fish tanks and filtration systems as part of his job so allowing him loose on such a large project wasn't as stupid as it may appear!

First the back panel:-
billytonystef002.jpg

billytonystef006.jpg

Then the 2 sides:-
billytonystef019.jpg

and the front:-
billytonystef022.jpg

then hubby had to climb in to silicone it from inside and fix the sucker supports to hold it in place until it's properly cured:-
billytonystef048.jpg

billytonystef054.jpg

billytonystef058.jpg

Then the whole thing was left in place for one week to dry and then today we have installed the plumbing for the towers and also the inner glass frames.Both towers will be covered with black acrylic.
towers002.jpg

So that's it for now,the sump and the upper bracing bars are next for the tank,but we may have to place the wood in situ first before the bars,as you can see below :wideyed:

We have been searching for large pieces of wood for some months now and have sourced a few from Wharf in Nottingham.These have been soaking in the Koi pond but today we took them out to jet wash them and to place them in a separate large vat which will be covered to prevent any light getting in.
bogwoodmisc002.jpg

bogwoodmisc008.jpg

bogwoodmisc016.jpg

bogwoodmisc033.jpg

wood002.jpg

As you can see,these are pretty substantial pieces and may well have to be put in place being the upper bracing bars are siliconed onto the tank.We will probably screw them together to keep everything in place.

Hi Jane and Hubby,Wow this setup is going to be absolutley fantastic, could you tell me what the spec is and what kind of aquascape you have in mind,will it be low light or high light and so on please keep us up to date regularly,take care john. 8)

I think we may have found a possible contender for another UKAPS meet :p that must be amazing to see in the flesh!

john starkey said:
Hi Jane and Hubby,Wow this setup is going to be absolutley fantastic, could you tell me what the spec is and what kind of aquascape you have in mind,will it be low light or high light and so on please keep us up to date regularly,take care john. 8)

I've just realised after reading your post John that I haven't posted the tank dimensions :oops: .

It's 8'x3'x3' and the sump will be approx.6'x2' although that hasn't been finalised yet.We are going to use 4 x 150w metal halides and for the first time we will use Co2 and go a bit more high tech - our existing planted tank is low tech no Co2.We both like the slightly overgrown,jungle type look rather than the more formal type.
I'll be posting very regularly asking for advice and suggestions about how to do things properly,you'll probably get fed up :lol:

ulster exile said:
I think we may have found a possible contender for another UKAPS meet :p that must be amazing to see in the flesh!

You'd be more than welcome,we have a barbecue and we're not afraid to use it :lol:
(and we're only in Stourbridge so not too far for you ;) )

This looks amazing already! I must have walked past those wood pieces many times at Wharf wishing I had a tank large enough to use them in! Fantastic and can't wait to see more on the filter design. Are you installing a permanent water change system to make maintenance dead easy? Otherwise water changes on a tank that size will be a PITA won't they?

Ed Seeley said:
This looks amazing already! I must have walked past those wood pieces many times at Wharf wishing I had a tank large enough to use them in! Fantastic and can't wait to see more on the filter design. Are you installing a permanent water change system to make maintenance dead easy? Otherwise water changes on a tank that size will be a PITA won't they?

The tank will have it's own RO unit set up with a float for automatic top ups but as far as large water changes are concerned we are still undecided about setting up a perry pump and solenoid.The tank is just a few feet from an outside drain so it's fairly easy to attach a tube to a pump in the sump and whizz the water outside.

How thats looks amazing! can't wait to see it filled and planted and stocked!! hehe
Just a question, your husband does this for a living? I am looking for someone to build on-site a tank also!

Thanks and good luck :)

So, what about the dog then? Is it like the birds that miners used to take down in the mines? If it starts to look scared you know something is awry?

WOW!!! I reckon if my b/f could build me a tank like that I'd probably marry him :p

Thought the same as TDI though - how will you plant and maintain it without going swimming?!

Please keep us posted with plenty of pics - this is the kind of tank we all dream about!

You KEEEEEERAAAAZY fishkeepers !! love it!

8x3x3 = 450 gallons thats 900 watts to acheive 2 watts pre gallon!!!! :wideyed: thats 6 x 150 watt MH?? (sorry just thinking aloud) and substrate OMG I hope hubby has plenty of contacts in the trade!

Intersting to see what you do with the sump too wont those over flows vent off gas?

Thanks for posting and please keep us updated ....

Back