• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diatoms and green algae

Anthony81

Hi all.
I have a 120l tank running co2 injection and I'd say medium lighting ( 2x T5 12w led bulbs).
Dosing 10ml of TNC complete daily and 2mg of TNC carbon daily. Lights on time for 7hours a day and co2 is light green.

I have diatoms on all my hard scape and a few days before I'm due to carry out a weekly water changes it appears on the glass. Also I'm getting some green algae on the hard scape aswell. I clean it off each week with about a 70% water change but I don't seem to be winning.
It's not a massive amount compared to a lot of other people on here and I guess I've just got lucky.

My main question is I know to much lighting can cause algae if it's not balanced with ferts and co2 but can not enough lighting (length of time during each day)also have the same affect if not all the TNC complete is being used up by the plants?

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot the tank has been setup for just over 2 months now. The plants have been growing great since day one and seem to be pretty health. Carpet has been in for about 6weeks

Attachments

• 20200203_193513.jpg
    20200203_193513.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 169
Thank you. The TNC website states:

1ml per 10 litres of tank water per week.
Dose can be increased to 2 or 3 times per week depending on plant growth, water changes etc.
1ml per 10 litres of tank water 3x per week will give a dose similar to the Estimative Index levels – Be sure to change 50% of your water once per week to remove organic waste from the plants.

It looks like you may have too many nutrients. This is forcing the microbial production of ammonia and favoring algae.

Thank you. The TNC website states:

1ml per 10 litres of tank water per week.
Dose can be increased to 2 or 3 times per week depending on plant growth, water changes etc.
1ml per 10 litres of tank water 3x per week will give a dose similar to the Estimative Index levels – Be sure to change 50% of your water once per week to remove organic waste from the plants.

It looks like you may have too many nutrients. This is forcing the microbial production of ammonia and favoring algae.

So with my 120 litre tank would you say 5ml per day would be recommended based on manufacturer's instructions at 3 times the dose?
I do 70% water changes once a week

Nope. I think you need to drop to 2ml per day. You could then raise it up as high as you like providing that you know the point at which algae will grow. Photograph the plants closely so that you can review any suffering.
Keep me posted. I have three Juwel tanks like yours and there are plenty of options still left open, but this is the best place to start in my opinion.

Nope. I think you need to drop to 2ml per day. You could then raise it up as high as you like providing that you know the point at which algae will grow. Photograph the plants closely so that you can review any suffering.
Keep me posted. I have three Juwel tanks like yours and there are plenty of options still left open, but this is the best place to start in my opinion.

Thank you for your help. I'll drop it down to 3ml per day with about 70% water changes per week. I am injecting CO2 as well

I started dosing 3ml each day from monday and my cryptocoryne is suffering. Only thing that's changed is the dosing. Could this be due to not enough TNC complete? Sorry for the questions I'm starting to think im biting off more then I can chew. Can you please help

Attachments

• 20200216_134529.jpg
    20200216_134529.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
  • 20200216_134520.jpg
    20200216_134520.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • 20200216_134504.jpg
    20200216_134504.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
  • 20200216_134452.jpg
    20200216_134452.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
I've had the drop checker down by the plants a couple of weeks ago and it was reading the same as higher up. I was moving it in different locations to see if there was any dead spots

Back