• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Didiplis diandra

AdAndrews

ok, thanks saintly.. after staring in amazement at every pic in your journal for 2 hours today i am inspired! however i wish to have a mix of stems in my nano... 2 lots of the same stem in either corner(has to be either a red or redish tinge stem, can you recommend one?) then coming into the centre a little each side still split a nice green thin leaved stem(undecided..?) then at the side of the wood and rocks on each side some H.M

I would be hugely grateful if you could recommend the 2 stems for the back- 1 has to be totally green and the other red(ish)

thanks

AdAndrews said:
i wish to have a mix of stems in my nano

so I'm guessing max height of about 30cm?

i think for a small tank even up to 36cm like a usual 60x 30 x 36. there are numerous small leaved stems to choose from.
GREEN
easy ones IME would be Micranthemum umbrosum. it grows at will under good conditions, but can be a tank buster. i trim mine heavily. it also like to invade into space not vertical but horizontally.something to watch for. it's the plant on the right hand side in autumn blush.
GREEN
another is Hemianthus micranthemoides. a little more demanding, but again can be grown into a good bush. (front left autumn blush)
PINK/RED
for the red's id say r rotundifolia. it's dead easy to grow. and responds well to trimming.

DARK RED
ludwigia arcuata. this seems to be a steady stem. I'm still learning my self with this one.a bit more tricky than r rotundifolia.

RE tropicas recommendations, i think they try to describe best where certain plants should be placed within a scape and they are pretty much on the ball, although most will grow bigger than suggested.

ok, thanks, am i right in thinking that didiplis diandra has a red-ish tinge to its mostly green leaves

i think with your recommendations i will try rotundifolia as the red, then maybe didiplis, and hm at the centre line

cheers :D

Hi Adam.
I have also learnt from experience not to take any notice of the heights quoted by TGM or the Tropica catalogue for that matter.
I recently ordered a pile of plants from TGM and in amongst it was a Crypt that allegedly grew 10-15cm, ideal I thought, for a mid ground plant. How wrong was I, what I got was a triffid, the thing was huge, at least 25cm. :wideyed: I'm sure the guys at TGM are feeding them steroids. :lol: I couldn't use it where I had proposed to use it in my hi tech set up, so I've had to stick it in one of my lo techs.
Still top quality plants though.

Chris.

lol, my local outlet has started to sell aquafleur plants so i will see if i can order as much as i can off them, but i will probably still need tgm as i am unsure whether aquafleur do blyxa

crackin, i will need to ask next time i go in then, others i need are
rotala rotundifolia
didiplis diandra
h.c
blyxa
vailis nana
h.m
maybe java fern "narrow"- havnt decided on centre plant yet.

you'll get everything but the vallis nana and java fern narrow.

it'll be about availability with the others and the willingness of your MA store whether they order especially for you due to the 6 pots' minimum. they should do if there any good

it isnt MA, just my local shop has started to deal with aquafleur.. i have recieved my tgm blue stone today, and its ace, kinda makes me want to do iwagumi again :lol:

Back