• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Difference between rotala varieties: rotundifolia, h'ra and colorata

Cor

When I search specifically (plant database, webshops, aquascapers, forum) on Rotala colorata, I see many different images which does not make it easier to identify, as you can see in the attached image.

In this way I read that the Colorata has the property to grow 'horizontally' in a lot of light. Others claim that this also happens at H'ra.

What are the characteristics: color, leaf shape, leaf position etc.
Sometimes I read that the rotundifolia 2 leaf pairs (opposite) others claim to be 'crosswise' opposite.

Who can explain / show clearly, what the distinctive details are of these 3 variations.

Tia, Cor

rotala.png

This is exactly why we really can't ID our plants by pic.s of leaves. .... ...... the appearance will change depending on environment. Sometimes drastically.
Grown side by side, the most obvious differences are as follow:
- Rot. rotundifolia: grow more straight up, than the two others, though still with a tendency of out-spreading/overhanging growth. Coloratin less deep and saturated than two others, though still strong in high energy conditions. Very good at branching both without trimming tops, and when trimming tops.
- Rot. 'colorata': grow straight up, but more arching shoots than rotundifolia. Overall impression more robust, than rotundifolia. Coloration a darker tone and more saturated then rotundifolia, also stronger in high energy conditions. Less prone to branching, especially if tops are not trimmed.
- Rot. 'H'ra': Can grow upwards, but very prone to strong arching or creeping growth, actually much resrmbling Rot. 'green'. Coloration very saturated, orange towards strong pink in high energy conditions. Leafshape much narrower then two others and overall appearance more delicate. Very very good at branching both with and without trimming of tops.

This is exactly why we really can't ID our plants by pic.s of leaves
Too many books are 'Coffee Table Picture Books'. The Linnean names also appear to be a moveable feast which definitely does not help. Aquatic plants appear to be very plastic in form.

Back