• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diffuser Choices

James D

I apologise if it's already been covered numerous times but I can't find any info.

I've just bought my first CO2 set up (as recommended in the 'cheap CO2' sticky above) I can't decide whether I should get one of these diffusers
7awv.jpg

or an inline one.
ij0w.jpg

Is either method significantly more effective or does it come down to aesthetic preference? It will go in here by the way.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Thanks

For me provided you tank isnt to big a glass diffuser is the way to go, It kind of comes down to personal preference I like the look of a diffuser in the tank other people prefer not to see them

Thanks for the answers, my tank is only 600 x 280 x 280 so I'll take the glass diffuser route...... it's much cheaper and I like the look of it too.

Hi, the up inlines can be problematic at lower working pressures, you need to be able to adjust the working pressure on your regulator to insure the atomiser will function or back pressure can cause blown bubble counters and tubing few threads on here about up atomiser problems ill try and dig up some links later, if your reg isn't adjustable the boyu inline diffusers will work at lower pressures but don't create as fine a mist ime.

hi,i have used a bazooka diffuser and the bubbles are quite small and I found it worked very well at 1.5bar.
all the best roy.

Hi all,

I'm using the Dennerle Medium Flipper upto 300 ltrs: has anyone had the experience with the Dennerle, and what do they think?

Dennerle flipper vs Inline Diffuser what would you recommend.

Billy

Good evening UKAPS
in my opinion "what it all looks like" is the personal option.
What is happening is what it's all about.
CO2 dissolved in the water + appropriate lights (separate topic) to maximise plant growth is the business.
Remember the CO2 in the canister is relatively cold being under pressure. It gets released not yet dissolved into water that is between 24 & 27 degs C (read much warmer) and it doesn't defy physics it conforms - expands, become "lighter" and heads for the surface.......... who knew??
My Scottish genes immediately say "waste not want not" so I'm on auto pilot to find a way to maximise the CO2 and facilitate optimal photosynthesis.
So I'm wanting CO2 to dissolve in water returning to the aquarium - NB not to the canister (closed system) filter, because I respect the bio column that keeps my "animals" happy to be alive. (no ammonia NH3/NH4 and no Nitrite NO2).
How you do that is entirely up to you and your understanding of the physics of dissolving CO2 into water. The requirements for such a feat are:
1. Slow the water flow down (in my experience, to between 1/3 or 1/4 of canister pump capacity), achieved by for example increasing the diameter of the return pipe from say 25 mm to 75mm or 100mm (depending on how strong your canister's pump is),
2. Injecting the CO2 into the stream at this point in as small a size bubble as I can (small bubbles dissolve faster than big bubbles - (no PHD in physics required) then once I can observe the return water has ZERO bubbles (CO2 has done 2 things, warmed up to parity and then the decent thing, dissolved) the water, now loaded with the CO2, moves from the larger diameter tube to
3. The "normal" 25mm tube, accelerating back to normal flow rate and re-enters the aquarium......

No more CO2 snow storm, no additional hardware in the aquarium, no CO2 waste (God forbid) and vigorously growing plants. AND as an added bonus the drop checker responds quicker too, going from sapphire blue to emerald green in a few hours........ so I ask .... is there a down side? Answer.... No all good this side.

That's how we do it in Cape Town, South Africa (southern suburbs only at this time)

I hope this helps maybe just a little.
Cheers PL

Back