• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diffuser Cleaning

simonm74

I've got an Up Aqua inline diffuser which I think is dirty/clogged, as the bubble rate dropped alarmingly until I swapped the ceramic for a spare.

Reading around it seems the conventional wisdom is to soak in bleach and then wash with vinegar. The vinegar bit I can understand (dissolves any calcification) but what's the thinking behind the bleach? Is it just to kill algae etc. and if so could I just use boiling water?!

Thanks in anticipation.

Bleach and vinegar would neutralize each other and produce Chlorine? Etc.

Can you remove just the ceramic bit? If so, boiling water would also be fine I think. I've always used bleach for cleaning diffusers as mine are glass and would probably shatter if I try hot water.

Thanks, yes I read those posts but I couldn't find what I was looking for, i.e. the rationale behind using bleach in the first place. I thought maybe there was ome chemical reason but I can't find any mention of anything like that so I guess it is for killing algae, diatoms etc.

I'll try boiling water then vinegar as I'm a bit scared of using bleach on anything that's going in my tank (how much rinsing is enough?!)

Yes rebel my diffuser comes apart so I can just boil the ceramic not the whole diffuser - I agree that would be a bad idea!

I cleaned mine out today but just used a pipe cleaners and didnt open the atomizer up, was hesitant to open the up aqua unit as I am not that confident that it will seal well again, guess next time around I will open it up as it bound to get clogged up and need a good soaking.

Back