• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diffuser for yeast co2

amy4342

Hi all.
I'm currently using 2 Hagen Nutrafin canisters in my low-tech tank, and I'm using the ladders that come with them, but they're so unslightly! Does anyone use glass diffusers with them, or is the pressure not great enough? Also, would the diffusion rate be as good as with the ladders.
Thanks!

You can use glass diffusers with yeast diffusion no problem. If the tank's in a bedroom, be aware that glass diffusers are quite noisy, and with a yeast based system you won't be able to 'turn it off' at night (unless you just remove the diffusers from the tank, or unplug the tubing - which I think is too much hassle, and too likely to forget to put back). I have two tanks in my room; the one that is on pressurised CO2 with a solenoid (that switches it off at night) uses a glass diffuser, but the one that uses yeast I have on a Hagen ladder - simply because of the noise regions.

Of course, if sound isn't a problem just give it a go - use your drop checker and plant growth to gauge whether you're still getting a good level of diffusion.

Best regards,

Mark

PS it takes a bit of time (5-10 minutes) from attaching a yeast based CO2 system to a glass diffuser before the pressure is high enough for the gas to start bubbling through.

PPS Tip - if you can safely stand your yeast containers on the lighting ballast you will get a bit more CO2 in the day and a bit less at night

That's extrmely helpful - thanks Mark! I'll give the glass diffuser a go, I can always return to the ladders if they're too noisy I suppose. Thanks!

PPS Tip - if you can safely stand your yeast containers on the lighting ballast you will get a bit more CO2 in the day and a bit less at night

+1. This actually works really well!

I just use a limewood diffuser sitting below a koralia powerhead. Small bubbles get blasted around the whole tank, and it seems to be working great.

Back