• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

diffuser positioning

ziggy_909 said:
Id be careful of probes and computers, they're just not accurate enough to control things properly.. the only way to be sure is with a drop checker. A PH probe measures the PH of the tank water, which is widely known as highly inaccurate way of doing it.. far too many other factors besides CO2 can alter the PH of the water.. it will lead you to have problems and highly unstable CO2.

Drop checker using reference solution is the only sure way of doing it.

i understand that ph probes measure ph levels, but surly this is used as a guide and if used in conjunction with a calibrated drop checker it will give you a suitable tank rating/ph level based on a 30ppm drop checker reading, so i feel that a +/- 0.05 reading that my probe will control via my solinoind will not only save my fish but also my co2 supply as opposed to whole heartily relying on a drop checker that is already 2 hours out of date when you read it...!!!!!

i have to disagree with your point about co2 stability and and your reliance on solely a drop checker,,, that I'm sure will read differently at different tank locations....

drop checkers with a reference solution in good flow are pretty quick to change.. but you need to remember that its not controlling your co2, you are. So it puts you much more in control of proceedings. So in actual fact, your PH probe is more likely to cause your fish problems than it is to save them.

Also, the less fluid you have in your drop checker, the faster it will change.. obviously because the gas has far less solution to equalise.

PH probes are also very expensive, and by measuring tank water directly, provide too much inaccuracy to justify that price.. in my opinion of course! well, and alot of other peoples too.. we had this discussion many times on the Barr Report before we ever even made UKaps.

drop checkers with a reference solution in good flow are pretty quick to change.. but you need to remember that its not controlling your co2, you are.
i think i'll stick to my method of cross referencing as from experience computer foul ups are mostly a result of human error and intervention...(this is why we have them..!!!)
controlling of the co2 is regulated this way with inbuilt safety parameters ... a bonus if stories of co2 rapid dumping are to be believed.

from researching it the only problem i can come up with is a rapid change of water hardness to cause rapid co2 swings.......

PH probes are also very expensive,
have you seen the price of the new drop checkers 22.00gbp i think....
hows the co2 delivery thread coming along, so glad i started a thread to question london prices...!!!

ziggy_909 said:
have you seen the price of the new drop checkers 22.00gbp i think....

hows the co2 delivery thread coming along, so glad i started a thread to question london prices...!!!

my drop checker cost £5 I think.

Were still waiting for nightfrieght to reply with some prices :) once we have that we can work out whether or not its worth it for everyone.

Back